Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Brush with greatness?

Today I worked out in the gym with Barack Obama.

No, seriously, it is true. My friend and I arrived at our wellness center to find nurses, doctors, pharmaceutical reps, etc. standing outside the main door, along the entrance way, and inside the door to the wellness center. I thought that the fire alarm had gone off, but since no one stopped us from entering we continued on. I felt like I was on the red carpet walking between these lines of people so I started giving them my princess wave as I entered. Only when I got into the wellness center did I ask what was going on.

Counter Girl: "Obama is here,"

Me: "Where?"

CG: "In there working out."

My friend and I walked inside and there he was straight ahead on the elliptical working hard. We put our keys and wallets in the lockers, got our wipes and proceeded to the machines we always use; however, they were all full. The place was packed. There is never this many people in our wellness center in the middle of the week at this time of the morning. The only open good machines and I'm not making this up, were the two ellipticals next to Obama. So we climbed aboard and went to work.

He looks exactly like he does on camera. He is tall and thin and younger than I thought. He looks like he could use a decent meal, which I would have happily had with him, but we left him alone. He had his ear buds in and he was very focused.

We decided he was listening to his upcoming speech that he would be giving later that afternoon in Dunedin. Secret Service agents were everywhere and they straightened up as we got that close. My friend was right next to him. She could have reached out and touched him, but with the agents checking us psycho housewives out she opted not to do that. We did not speak to him, but I got to watch him as I had to turn that way to talk to my friend.

He left after awhile. Apparently, he had been there for about an hour already. He did not wipe off his sweat on the equipment and my friend, who has an obsession about cleanliness, kept her mouth shut. I admit I was worried she would stop him and remind him that cleanliness was important.

We did think about selling the right to touch his sweaty equipment but figured we'd get kicked out. He walked out of the center and got waylaid by all the people. We heard he was there for several minutes. He arrived in town yesterday and was spotted at a local hangout across from the wellness center. He ordered a hamburger.

It was exciting. This man could be President, and I worked out next to him! It pumped me up so much that I burned 387 calories on the elliptical. I've never done that in my life! These types of things never happen to me. Who says SAHM's lives are boring?

1 comment:

Susan said...

OMG...no way! I bet Sugee was going nuts about the sweat thing. I wish she would have said something to him. You must go to the gym more often now just in case someone else shows up!