Thursday, August 29, 2002

Girl Scouting

Madison and I had her first Girl Scouts meeting. Actually, it's for Daisy Girl Scouts. Daisy Scouts is a troop for Kindergarteners, and it focuses on having fun through socializing. I thought it would be good for Madison to socialize with students outside of the private school she goes to, and well, her friend Brianna is doing it, and Krista is always good at trying to include us in other activities. Mostly I see Daisy Scouts as a bunch of arts and crafts, singing of songs, and helping people.  

Daisy Girl Scouts do NOT sell cookies or do fundraising. Thank God.

I was a Brownie and then a Girl Scout. It was something my mother had me do because she loved her time as a scout. 

Connie: "I lived for scouts."

I did not live for scouting, but I don't want to foist my feelings on to Madison, and I suggested we give scouts a try although it isn't high on Madison's list. 



I have few memories of Brownies. My memories of Girl Scouts includes my mother as a troop leader and one of the girls in the troop, her name was Whitney, telling the other girls that my mother was a meanie, and she didn't let us have any fun. Whitney ignored me from that moment on until we ended up in the same homeroom in High School. I asked her if she remembered that at all. She didn't.


Other memories of Girl Scouts included camping where my mother was the swimming instructor for our swimming badges, and we swam in a lake and slept in cabins, and selling Girl Scout cookies. My father was a salesman, and so selling was something my brother and I learned at his knee. Our goal every year was to sell enough cookies to get the reward the scouts offered. I remember it usually being a poster of some kind. I was a decent seller of cookies, I think. 

I still have my Girl Scout sash and patches and pins. I have my book, my hat, and my scout pouch with camping paraphernalia like a knife and fork. I'm picturing Madison one day using all of it. 


I have opted not to be a Daisy troop leader.  I have signed up for "bringing the Daisy snacks."  

No comments: