Monday, February 02, 2015

Monday morning Super Bowl recap

Hmmmm, Where should I start? Just kidding.

Ending - This one will be talked about for years to come. This is one that will haunt coaches, and not just the Seahawks coaches. Three chances, seconds on the clock, one yard from the endzone, and a beast of a running back. The only thing I worried about was how much time would be left on the clock for Brady to make a play. Before I could formulate my play, Seattle made theirs and it was...to pass? Pete Carroll said the plan was to throw because of New England's goal line defense and run later if necessary. What? An interception didn't cross your mind? Look. I've said the same thing many times when the Steelers have been at the goal line. Trick play. My buddy argues with me because he always worries about an interception. But I even I wouldn't have made that call. This was the Super Bowl. The big game  With 25 seconds left on the clock. With Marshawn Lynch, the Beast, on your side? With a running quarterback? I'm still shaking my head. 

Pete Carroll - He said it was his call and not offensive coach Darrell Bevell's. I believe him. Carroll, who is a heck of a coach without a doubt, also is a tad full of himself. He is enthusiastic, but goes overboard at times. He is full of ideas, but never thinks before he acts. I don't think he was looking at the defense. I think he was thinking like I've thought; they'll expect the pass so I'll throw it. Ah, Pete. Maybe you will stop and smell the roses now after that mistake. Worst call ever. 

Players annoyed - Yep, the tweets said the Seahawks were more than pissed about that last play, but let's not forget guys that you were ten points ahead and let the Patriots take the lead. Shame on you. This is why you play until the time clicks to zero. I'm afraid the Hawks celebrated a bit too early.  

Tom Brady - Much as I dislike him, he is good. Did he get there legally? We probably won't ever know the truth about all the shady things this team has done, but he led that comeback and won the game and took the MVP. 

Chris Matthews - The Seattle receiver would have been MVP had the Seahawks won. At 6'5 he made monsterous catches in the end zone for huge touchdowns.  

Jermaine Kearse - Made the unbelievable catch at the end when the ball hit his leg and bounced back into the air so he could catch it. If only he hadn't been so shocked and had gotten up and gotten into the end zone, but he hesitated just a tad too long. 

Refs - I caught them making two mistakes, calling the wrong downs on mike. Seriously? Biggest game and you say "repeat third down" on first down and "second down" on third down? Crazy. Why didn't anyone else catch this?

Deflategate - The powers that be in the NFL sighed with relief when the Pats won because that brought an end to the ball scandal. I think the NFL will say nothing came of the investigation now that New England is the champs. Roger Goodell slobbering over Robert Kraft as he handed over the Lombardi spoke volumes. Plus, that ending has already taken deflategate out of everyone's mind. Hey. Maybe Pete Carroll was forced to throw the game on purpose! See how rumors start?

Richard Sherman - Early word came down from ESPN that he has torn ligaments in his left elbow, might need Tommy John surgery, and played anyway. Man. My first thought was he won't be much help to his girlfriend with the new baby soon to arrive. 

Ickey Woods - My favorite commercial is his dancing at the deli counter, but the "I got Yahtzee!" Laughed so hard. Been there baby! 

Depressing ads - Wow, what was up with most of those commercials? I thought I worried on a daily basis, but now I know I'm not the only one. Jeez. Worst? Hands down Nationwide. Did it get everyone talking? Yep. Still. Ugh. 

Truest Tweet - @jamiekharding who tweeted, "Belichick should not be mentioned in the same sentence as Chuck Noll". Amen sister!

Best line at my house - Kelly who said, "When the Seahawks are asked how in the world they lost that game they can say "We threw it." And it has two meanings" (She obviously didn't think we would get it)

Until next year peeps! Football is over and out. Sniff. 

No comments: