Friday, June 28, 2019

Wyndham Canterbury ownership spiel - my experience and opinion


The next morning Darcy and I made our way down to the $75 breakfast-will-be-great spiel. Points for the flavored creamer. We filled out a made to order omelet paper and when our salesgirl arrived she directed us through the food line which did consist of more delicious food items than other Wyndham spiels. Unfortunately, none of it was hot. Or even warm.

Our salesgirl, and I've already forgotten her name, kept appearing to let us know that she would be right with us in fifteen minutes or so. I'd decided that I wasn't going to be the sweet, let everyone take advantage of me for three hours girl that I normally am in these Wyndham spiels. I had read the email that told me I was only committed to an hour and so I began the countdown upon shaking her hand. Oh, how naive I was.

Fifteen minutes came and went and so I got up and threw out my trash, filled my creamer cup with coffee, and made an exaggerated point of looking at my watch when I knew Salesgirl was watching. She hopped to it. I felt incredibly in charge. She took us away from the fray of salesman chatting at the tables with owners into a private office where she explained she was a bigwig. We learned her background, exchanged pleasantries, and then she went into educating me with information that I already knew writing down bullet points on 8x14 pieces of paper with swirly penmanship and lots of jabs with the pen point. Finally, she devised a quiz and told me not to feel ashamed if I didn't know the answers or got them wrong. This was said somewhat condescending and so I took great pleasure in shutting her down by answering both questions correctly.

Salesgirl: "How did you know that?"

Me: "I learned all of this in my various spiels over the years."

Then I proceeded to turn the tables with some questions of my own, none of which she could answer.

This is part of the frustration of these spiels. I'm told at check-in that I will learn new things and get answers to any questions I might have. Neither of that happens. If it does, it's rare. I get that Wyndham needs to keep selling, but I think unless you are interested in buying more points, etc. there isn't much point in giving people money to waste two hours of a salesperson's time. There has to be a better way. I put some time into thinking of ways while Salesgirl kept talking and decided if I win the lottery, I might buy out Wyndham and revise the whole timeshare market.

I do like Club Wyndham and their resorts and the experience. I do not, however, enjoy this part of things. And even crazier, is that I'd love to speak with someone regarding my ownership but I can't do that unless I'm vacationing at a resort. Right there, is problem number one. They need a headquarters where we can make appointments and get in to discuss our ownership with someone who knows the answers to our questions. Problem number two? I can't purchase a property other than the one that I'm currently vacationing in.

Darcy said I did not behave nicely. She didn't like that after I declined to spend $10,000 to switch my deed to lower my maintenance fee and the lady had left the office to get some paperwork that I opened the door and exclaimed my annoyance to her where others could hear. First of all, the room was deliberately hot and opening the door allowed some circulation. Secondly, the office was in the corner and from where I stood in the doorway no one could hear my mutterings. Lastly, I muttered so that the hidden microphone could pick up my annoyance at having spent longer than an hour with Salesgirl. Who then returned to TRY TO CONTINUE SELLING ME.

Darcy: "At that point, I thought to myself, 'Lady, you deserve the wrath of what this woman is about to lay down on you.'"

But I was conscious of Darcy's lecture and politely declined yet again. I mean, I own the property with my brother. I can't just make decisions without his input so what's the point? I'm upfront with people about this right off. I don't want to waste salespeople's time. I don't. My father was a salesman. I lived that life. Wasting time with someone who can't do anything without the other owner is a complete waste of time and loss of income for the salesperson. Arg. It makes me crazy.

Salesgirl left us for several more minutes at which I stood in the doorway once again and muttered. Finally, I received my $75 visa card from another woman. Most times when I receive my payment, I feel like shit because I the salesperson hasn't earned a damn thing. Plus, I figure I've annoyed them for that very reason and that makes me feel yucky. Truly, there has to be a better way.

Yes, I would like to lower my maintenance fee. Yes, I would like to change my deed so that I can make that happen. No, I won't spend $10,000 to do that. That would be absolutely insane considering all of the money that my mother shelled out for this timeshare back when it was owned by Fairfield. Salesgirl actually spent time teaching me how to make this a profitable business by selling points and putting up my units on vacation sites. Somewhere someone is dropping the ball.

Any takers in buying me lottery tickets? I promise to change this system if I win.


No comments: