Saturday, January 11, 2020

She is always listening and judging

This is a Madison story. Whenever I ask her to write a post for my blog, she groans--noises reminiscent of ones made when I told her to do her homework. So, I'm paraphrasing her story and from her answers to my questions.


Madison's tale:

Last night after everyone went to bed, and after I had stayed up well into the wee hours of the morning (this would be Cara's addition), I shut off the lights to head into my bedroom. That's when I discovered that the tree lights - the tree mother replaced our Christmas tree with and decorated with colored lights - hadn't been turned off.

The lights are attached to our Amazon Alexa just like our Christmas tree had been, and, not wanting to wake everyone up, I whispered softly to Alexa so that she would turn off the lights with her typical Ba-dupe sound.

Me: "Alexa, turn off tree lights."

But, instead of the Ba-dupe sound and the lights going dark, I got Alexa at volume ten.

Alexa: "IT APPEARS YOU ARE WHISPERING! IF YOU WANT TO TURN ON WHISPERING MODE, GO TO THE ALEXA APP AND ENABLE THE WHISPER MODE!"

It was SO loud, and I was hopping up and down on either foot, whispering for her to stop before she woke up the entire house.

Me: "Alexa! Stop!"

Alexa: "ARE YOU WHISPERING? IT APPEARS YOU ARE WHISPERING!"

Me: "Alexa! Stop! Stop!"

Alexa: "WHISPERING CAN BE ENABLED BY GOING TO THE ALEXA APP AND TURNING ON WHISPERING MODE."

Every time I told her to stop, she would point out that I was whispering. I kept saying her name, and she kept telling me by golly, she was not going to allow me to whisper when I hadn't followed her directions.

It was quite hilarious.

At 3:00 in the morning.

No comments: