Monday, February 08, 2021

Super Bowl 2021

What's crazy is how the AFC combined wins for this season were twice that of the NFC teams. That's why I like the Super Bowl. It's anyone's game. I knew Tampa's defense would give Kansas City some trouble, but I really did expect a better game than what we got.


  • I know Tampa fans were just happy to be in the Super Bowl, but Brady's touchdown throws to Gronk and Brown, the two players Brady literally brought to Tampa in his role as GM (that's sarcasm), rubbed me the wrong way. Then again, it was AB, so I suppose one could say I have issues there, but I really hated how much the Bucs players, who have been rebuilding this team for years, got slighted in the hoopla of Brady and his main squeezes. 
  • The Chiefs' penalties in the first half were absolutely ridiculous. Why is it these guys can't straighten that out after the third one? If I were the coach, I'd be shouting that on the sidelines.
  • Kansas City's offensive line was so bad.
  • Hey, NFL defenders watching the Bowl, see how Patrick Mahomes does not protect the ball when he runs? File that away for next year.
  • Brady had two great rocket missile throws in the first half, none better than the touchdown pass to Gronk.
  • On the other side, Mahomes had some ill-conceived, poorly thrown passes, especially in the second half.
  • Travis Kelce worked his ass off in this game! 
  • If Tampa had used Leonard Fournette in the first half like they did in the second, they would've scored instead of resorting to kicking the field goal.
  • Many Twitter users and the CBS hosts talked a lot about the excessive calls in the first half, but I felt there should've been more conversation about the missed calls in the second half.
  • Patrick Mahomes just went crazy in the second half, scrambling forward, backward, left, right, up, and down. He threw on the run and falling down, and still, those passes were spot-on. He made Tampa's defense work.
  • Yikes on the beating Mahomes took in the fourth quarter, sandwiched between three Bucs defenders, two of whom hit him in the head. Glad to see that was flagged! Mahomes brain is already scrambled from the hits he's taken this year. I'd like the guy to be alert when his first baby is born in April. And don't even get me started on the hit by Tampa's Ndamukong Suh. 
  • And boo to CBS for not giving us a look at the idiot fan who stopped the game when he ran out on the field. I get not giving him his few seconds of fame, but couldn't you have blocked out his face and given viewers something exciting to watch?
  • Tampa's defense got very ugly in the last five minutes. It's hard to root for players with poor sportsmanship, but what pissed me off was how the sidelines celebrated those hits and the taunts. And the NFL wonders why they have a bad rap.
  • One thing I can say is how happy I am for former Steelers back-up quarterback, former Bucs quarterback, and now the Buccaneers offensive coordinator Byron Leftwich. Also, Cameron Brate, Chris Godwin, and Mike Evans.
  • Well, and I guess 95-year old Kay Arians watching her son win a Super Bowl was sweet too.
  • Kudos to Brady for his seventh ring.*


Commercials:


  • Door Dash and Sesame Street? Yes, please.
  • Those that made me giggle - Dr. Squatch and Rocket Mortgage. 
  • Most Fun - Frito Lay with Marshawn Lynch and company, including the Steelers' Bus and TB and the Manning brothers.
  • Tearjerker - Toyota's paralympic athlete swimmer Jessica Long
  • Cute and creative - T-Mobile 5G with Gwen Stefani, Blake Sheldon, and Adame Levine.
  • Most powerful - Jeep's Reunited States.
  • Most Sexy - Amazon's Alexa with Micheal B. Jordan
  • Most uplifting - Michelob Ultra
  • My fav - State Farm
  • Shout out to Verizon 5G commercial because, uh, JuJu Smith Schuster! I'm going to miss that kid next year.

*See what can happen when you walk outside the lines, leg go of morals, and offer deals to get what you want. Sigh.

No comments: