Saturday, March 13, 2021

Quarantine - one year

It's too bad our Wyndham trip was the week before because then I could have said I'd come full circle. I missed that by a few days. Last year on the 13th of March, we headed off to Orlando for a week of Spring Break fun in the sun. 


We all know how that turned out.


It's been a year! How crazy is that? Even as I type it, I'm all what? How can that be? But it is no lie. One year in a pandemic stuck mainly quarantined in my house. I should have something profound to say. I don't. Instead, I've made a list of the ten things I've learned while tethered to my home base.


  1. Children may get older, but once they cross the threshold of their childhood home, they revert age-wise at least ten years.
  2. My husband is quite the handyman. Or at least he knows how to find one.
  3. How quickly we go through personal hygiene products.
  4. I don't need a gym membership to stay fit.
  5. My pool is a haven.
  6. How wonderful it is to have the technology we have, including Facetiming and Zoom.
  7. People are very judgemental, opinionated, and stupid.
  8. Routine is important, but it can also lure one into a rut.
  9. Patience
  10. The NFL and the post office continue on through the rain, sleet, snow, and COVID.

And the ten things I enjoyed by being homebound.


  1. Extra time spent with my children.
  2. Working on my MIL's memoirs.
  3. Meeting new neighbors.
  4. Getting to know the people in my writing group.
  5. Having someone else in my house do the cooking.
  6. Shopping on Amazon.
  7. Getting out of the house.
  8. Grocery shopping online.
  9. Completing projects.
  10. The NFL season through the first eleven weeks.

Both our children were vaccinated this week. One is a teacher. One is considered an essential worker because she works with the deaf community. One got a two-shot vaccine. The other got the one shot. One had a reaction. One did not. 


Next week, Tom's age group will be next for the vaccine. My group shouldn't be far behind.


For my family, we made it through with minimal damage. Not everyone was as fortunate. Here's hoping that by this time next year, this pandemic will be but a chapter in the history books, everyone will be vaccinated, families will be reunited, and we'll all be healthy and smiling! 


Sappy?


Hell yeah!

No comments: