Sunday, March 20, 2005

Everything will be just fine

Me: "Did you bring the digital camera?"

Tom: "Yes, I brought it."

Me (peering at his only piece of carry-on, his laptop): "Where is it?"

Tom: "In my luggage."

Me: "Your luggage? What luggage? Oh, my god, your luggage that you checked in? Are you stupid?"

Tom: "What are you talking about?"

Me: "You don't put important things in your check-in luggage. That camera will be gone. Gone! And it isn't even your camera. I can't believe this."

Tom: "Oh, stop. It will be fine."

We arrived in Boston yesterday to find our luggage missing from the carousel. We waited as it went round and round with everyone else's bags on it. Then it stopped. I thought it would be interesting if the crowd surrounding the carousel would suddenly start circling, but instead, we all groaned and waited for the block to be fixed.

It eventually started up again, but alas, the only piece of our 4 pieces of check-in luggage that arrived on that carousel was the car seat. At this point, we were hopeful, but after ten more minutes of watching the same luggage go round and round, we realized our luggage was not there. We turned around to enter the Delta office, and there, sitting against the wall, were two pieces of our luggage. That left one suitcase to track. Do I need to say it?

The suitcase with the digital camera.....missing.

Gone.

It did not arrive from Atlanta on this plane or the plane before it or the plane heading into Boston next. Within 24 hours was the word we received from Delta. They would deliver it once it arrived.

Me: "I knew it. It's the suitcase with the camera, isn't it? What were you thinking? I just watched a report on robberies that occur behind the scenes at airports. My god, I can't believe it."

Tom: "And all of those people were arrested too."

Me: "Right like there aren't more thieves to take their places. I never would have put my camera there in the first place. Never."
Tom: "It will be fine."

The suitcase arrived about 20 minutes before midnight after we had already retired for the night. It sat out on the front porch overnight. The camera was there, packed in the top, out in the open. I thought about removing it for just one minute, but I didn't.

Of course, had that been my suitcase, the camera would have been gone. Not that I would have even packed a camera in the case, to begin with, but it would have disappeared. It would have been gone, but for my husband, it was just fine.

Tom: "See, I told you. You worry too much."

No comments: