Monday, March 07, 2005

The Tooth Fairy Is On Strike

Last week my friend's daughter discovered that her tooth was loose. Very loose. She was thrilled about it in the beginning, but after finding out that she would be the first girl Kindergartener in her class to lose a tooth, she cried. She did not want to set the trend. Now, mind you, there are only three girls in their Kindergarten class, one of whom is my daughter, and my daughter would kill to lose a tooth. So as soon as she saw her friend's loose tooth, she found a loose tooth in her mouth. "I have a loose tooth," she announced on Friday as she climbed into the van. She attempted to wiggle the tooth. "It is loose. Really. I do have a loose tooth. Really." I felt the tooth, and it wouldn't budge, but I assured her one day she would lose her teeth, but that time was far into the future. "You are still Mama's baby," I told her. "It isn't time for you to lose teeth."


Yeah, well, four days later, my baby's tooth was loose. 

MY BABY'S TOOTH IS LOOSE

And not one, but two. Two teeth have popped out of Darcy's gums and are waiting to take their place in her mouth.

She is ecstatic. I am horrified. She is running around crunching on apples and calling her grandmother to get the tooth fairy bag. I am running behind her cutting up the apple and telling her the tooth fairy is on vacation.

When did this happen? When did my baby start to become a little person? It feels like yesterday I was changing her diapers, nursing her, and rocking her to sleep. Now she is turning six, moving to the other side of the school and losing her teeth. It happened quickly, and I wasn't ready.


No comments: