Sunday, February 05, 2006

Super Bowl Sunday


The first week was exciting. I celebrated with my flags and my car magnet and the fight songs I found on the internet. I bought a big flag to hang outside my house, and I spent lots of $$ on merchandise. The second week the nerves started, and my emotions were up and down. I didn't dare tell anyone why. My god, it's just a football game!

But without this "football game" I wouldn't have had the following:

  • Something to look forward to each week that really excites me.
  • Time spent each Sunday with good my good friends Krista and Scott who I rarely see outside of football season anymore because of different schools, activities, and life.
  • Chats, high-fives, and hugs from strangers that I see in the grocery, the mall, the gas station, Target, the soccer fields, and in ballet class.
  • Calls and emails from friends each time the Steelers won in the playoffs.
  • Dinner at my favorite restaurant the night the Steelers won the AFC Championship from a friend I don't see often enough.
  • A beautiful bouquet of Steelers cookies from a friend who doesn't even like sports, but who knew how much it meant to me.
  • Calls today from ex-co-workers and far away friends wishing me luck.

Football isn't any less important than a business deal that someone has worked on for weeks. Football is a business, and each week these guys go out and take care of their business. The Super Bowl is the big payout, the big merger, the million-dollar account.

For the fans that payout to watch these guys, it is a chance for a few hours to escape the real world, to block out the nasty, and to enjoy. And there isn't anything wrong with that.

GO STEELERS!!

No comments: