Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Who said I wasn't paying attention?

This past weekend my husband held a computer class here at home. He is a computer whiz and thus we have several computer stations in our home. Obviously, he has been concerned lately about some catastrophe happening to our computers and us losing all of our files.

He decided we needed a lesson.

We sat at our computer desks and he asked questions and made us find things on our computers. We learned about external hard drives and how to back up our files. We learned what a UPS was and how to tell how much free space we had on our drives. I took detailed notes and paid close attention. Below are some excerpts from the class and from my notes (in bold).

Tom: "Raise your hand if you have an external hard drive on your computer. Raise your hand if you know what an external hard drive is. Anyone? Well, you should. This is why we are here today. You should know what an external hard drive is. You should know if you have one or not. Are you guessing? Mommy, are you guessing or do you know?" The Teacher is a hard ass.

Tom: "Raise your hand if you have a computer." Three hands raise. "Raise your hand if you have a laptop" Madison and Darcy raise their hands. "Raise your hand if you have more than one computer." Madison raises her hand. Madison is the teacher's pet.

Tom: "Who has ever paid to download files? I'm talking about places like Itunes. Has anyone ever paid to download files?" The girls raise their hands. The girls have way more money then I do.
Tom: "Logging off your computer is not necessary. That is up to you. But how do we save money and energy? Isn't that important? Saving money? Saving energy? Do you turn off the lights when you leave the room? Yes, you do. And you should turn off your printers when you are not using them." I wonder what time lunch is?

That night I went to bed early. About 1:00 AM the phone rang and woke us. Computer trouble at Tom's work. He dealt with it and then snuggled back into the bed.

Tom: "It was that storm. Messed up the computers at work."

Me: "What storm?"

Tom: "The storm we had tonight. We had a huge storm with wind and rain. Our power was knocked out several different times."

Me: "Thank god we backed up our computer files!"

Tom: "Exactly! Just remember to continue to do that."

Me: "No problem. I took notes."

2 comments:

Susan said...

I wish your teacher could fly here and give me a computer lesson!

K Anne said...

yea, when is the next session? I would like to attend. I can kiss a teacher's ass as well as Madison can!