Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Photos from first leg of 2013 Indiana Summer Trip



Lorene's porch - I have a lot of memories of time spent on this front porch. One is sitting in the front bedroom spinning records on my player through the open window to the boys playing outside on the porch. 


The basement - Aunt Lorene sent me downstairs to take pictures of her canned goods and the contents of her freezer since her sons won't let her down in the basement. She wanted to know what she had down there. It is definitely a slice of history.  I could probably write a whole entry on her basement alone. 


Road to the farm - The reunion weather was great this year with little sun and cool air. The next day was even cooler and I walked up the road to the farm to take photos and spend some time with the relatives that have passed. I haven't made that walk since I was in elementary school. Shame on me. 


The pond - The kids spent all day playing in the pond whether fishing or swimming. The haul on the fishing netted a big catfish and two gigantic snapping turtles. I'm told all of it will be "good eat'in."


The view - I sat on the dock and just enjoyed the peace and quiet save for the occasional fish performing acrobats for me. There was a great breeze. 


The house - A memory I had sitting here was the time I was taught how to shoot a rifle. We aimed at cans sitting on the fence out front.  I actually remember the feel of the kickback. 

   

They tire swing - Spent many a time swinging there as have my kids...well, until the wasp stung Darcy that is. 


The barn - The hayloft was the best place to play as kids once you got up there, a feat I had trouble with as I hated (and still do) heights. I also learned how to milk animals in that barn. 


Entrance to farm - Driving in there was usually someone outside to greet you back in the day. Pretty quiet now. 


Scott's horses - As a kid I only remember one horse, Big Red. This trip there were three on Lorene's farm that belonged to my cousin.  Darcy decided she needed to ride so my cousin Darrell took her out riding.


Cont.... I did not know my husband would be joining them. They both stayed on and had quite the tour. 


Aunt Lorene's house - My brother and I spent many days here as kids with our cousins. It was our Thanksgiving dinner place as well. We always stopped here on the way to and from the farm and as we backed out of the driveway my Dad always rolled down all of the windows and made us shoo out the flies.

 

Aunt Lorene - A good hearted woman who loves her family and her Shaklee. At 98 she is still cooking us bacon and fried eggs from her hens. 

No comments: