Friday, August 23, 2013

Our "new" vehicle

Finally after several years of talking and months of research we have purchased a vehicle. The car of choice was purchased because of two reason.  One, we are a family of height and most of that, especially for the three of them, is in the legs.  Two years ago my husband refused to replace our van with another one.  Now, having driven our van solely for a year, he reconsidered.  Two, my friend's lease on her 2010 Honda Odyssey came to an end with 33,800 miles on it.  It was too good of a deal to pass up.


My friend, SueG, leases a van every three years.  Three years ago I made the comment we should purchase her van when the lease expired.  She thought it a good idea.  I mentioned it to the husband, but never pushed it and the next thing I knew SueG had a new lease and the old van went to the dealer.  The Honda dealer snatches up her leased vehicles as soon as she walks into the lot because, let me tell you, this woman knows how to treat a vehicle!  Despite having two kids in elementary school and a full can't-walk-through-it garage, her vehicles are pristine inside and out. 

I made the suggestion again to my husband about purchasing SueG's van when the lease was up.  Then SueG mentioned it to him.  I really wasn't as serious about the purchase as I had been two years ago because I wanted a Kia Soul.  But my husband just did not want the Soul.  Driving our "full size" rental Impala with his legs smashed up against the dashboard and the seat fully extended to the rear, further convinced him we needed a roomy, large vehicle.  SueG's Honda van lease expiring was the icing on the cake.

He paid off the lease without ever opening the van door.  We tried to get him to test drive it, but for some reason he just never did.  For my husband, that is unheard of.  I never fully realized he had never looked at the van until the title transfer and exchange was finished and we had the van.  I had the van and he needed to go to Home Depot so I suggested we go together and take the new van.  He sat inside for several minutes in shock.  "This is like brand new.  Did she ever drive it?"

For the first four days I had so much anxiety about someone hitting the van my stomach hurt.  The next two days I as if I were just borrowing SueG's van, something I have done in the past.  The seventh day I made it my own.


SueG didn't take a dime for the transaction.  Looking back on it, I realized she should have.  While it was no skin off her teeth as she was turning the vehicle in anyway she still had to deal with paperwork and sitting in the DMV and phone calls to and from the leasing agent.  She took nothing.  She just handed over the keys.  Thank you, thank you, thank you, my dear friend.  You are truly the epitome of goodness and friendship.  And of pristine car ownership.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the new van. Enjoy!