Monday, March 31, 2014

5 things to start the week

  1. Darcy's date went well.  His two little brothers accompanied them to the movies, and, despite being told to sit elsewhere, sat with them.  After the movie they got ice cream...with his family. My friend, Sharon, who was present at Darcy's birth..."I delivered her"...read the blog entry and immediately called to ask, "What the hell do you mean you let Darcy go on a date with a boy?" She and Kelly are having just as much trouble with my baby growing up. Maybe more so. 
  2. Apparently Blogger has messed with updated their site, and now I find that I must not hit the space bar twice like I was taught by Miss Irma Jean Rodgers in typing class. This new fangled technology doesn't require two spaces, and if I forget, having had it drilled into me for so many years, then my page is uneven in the margins and my OCD kicks in. I have to keep editing and it is driving me crazy. I should have listened when my children tried to tell me that they only single space after a period in their school reports.  Pfft.  This "new typing"...
  3. I don't like to be called ma'am.  It makes me feel old.  When I first moved to Florida I was "Miss Cara" at work.  I've tried to keep that moniker ever since.  Even when I substituted in school I asked not to be called Mrs. because it made me look for my mother-in-law.  Now I'm a ma'am.  Darcy's new beau refers to me as that every time he answers one of my questions.  Today on the phone I was ma'am.  It has got to stop.  Turning fifty this year is bad enough.  I'm working on finding a better expression.
  4. Tis the season for my annual blood check and mammogram. So far I've put it off past the 30 days written on the script.  I feel like I'm defying my doctor, but as she patted me on the head when I mentioned this, she said, "I can only suggest and write scripts. I can't drive you there and force you inside.  It is your health." The old, "The only person it hurts is you" saying from my youth.  It didn't work then, but it must be working now because I called today and scheduled my mammogram and then went out and bought some fish oil pills.
  5. A week off from school and 5:30 a.m. wake up calls was great, but getting back into the routine is not. My body does not want to cooperate, and I had a fitful-less-than-three hours of sleep last night. Which means that I will need a nap later in the day.  Which means I won't want to sleep tonight. Which means another fitful-less-than-three hours of sleep. I don't chalk this up to old age, however. I've always been a late nighter/late sleeper.  Which I believes proves that I'm not old because doesn't that change as you get older? Early to bed? Early to rise? I'll have to survey some "ma'ams" to get that answer. 

No comments: