Saturday, June 20, 2015

And we are off

I have not traveled far out of the country since the summer before my eighth grade year. I would have been twelve then. Our school (back then it was Kindergarten through eighth grade) sent the boy's soccer team to Germany, Austria and Switzerland to play against those country's soccer teams. Uh huh. I'm not sure who thought up this bright plan or how it even came about, but students and parents were invited to tag along and so my mother and I did. (I didn't have time to look for photos to insert here)

I have few memories of that trip. I have no memory of the plane ride. Now I am about to embark on another trip outside of the United States. It will be a ten hour plane ride, and while I have no memory of sitting that long on an airplane I do believe I didn't have people saying to me what they have been saying to me for this trip: "Make sure you get up and walk around the plane so that you don't throw a blood clot."

Note to self: Always tell people to have a good trip.

Despite the fact that my life has been spent worrying about the horror side of life, I am trying to take this trip as an opportunity to start fresh. I want to embrace the latter part of my life, open myself up to new experiences, chase the worries out of my head, and work hard at happiness. Don't get me wrong. I have a great life. I just need to embrace that.

So today my family, along with my MIL, are heading to Ireland. Over the next three weeks we are traveling through Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and England. I shall get to work on my accents. The trip is my daughter's graduation present from my MIL. Madison got to pick where she wanted to go and when we all agreed the Middle East (that was where she really wanted to visit) was out she chose this destination. I have a feeling my bucket list might have influenced her some, but we all agreed it was a trip of a lifetime.

I have no idea of the plans. My MIL has arranged everything with the help of my husband. I have arranged things here at home. My good friend Sharon C. will be moving into my house for the next three weeks with her family to care for it and my son dog. I have left typed instructions for both. She has spent a day learning the indoor things from me and another day learning the outdoor things from Tom. By the end of those she said, "This doesn't seem like a fun vacation anymore, but work for god's sake!"

For months the size of suitcases has been a topic of conversation. My husband started it by telling us we all got to take one backpack. For three weeks. My kids freaked out. I laughed. My MIL is a fashionista. She comes to my house dressed from head to toe, matching jewelry included, in outfits I would wear for special occasions. When she poo pooed that statement in a conversation about luggage size I reminded her of who I was. "I have no problem bringing my Steelers sweatpants in a backpack to wear every day." She made a face and upped the size from a backpack. (I am taking those pants, however to sleep in on the plane).

The weather is in the 60's in Ireland and Scotland so I had to purchase long pants. I have spent more time shopping for clothes these past two months then I have spent in a lifetime. I have also spent more on clothes this time then in my past. My raincoat alone cost more then I make in a week. (Just a little SAHM joke). But this morning I am packed and almost ready to head out the door. I have some light house cleaning and changing, washing, and remaking beds to do. Then out the door we head.

I'm not sure how much blogging I will be able to do. The plan is to do so daily, but it will depend on Wifi and opportunity. I was going to plan ahead and have old posts or post ahead, but that never happened what with the graduation nonsense that took up my year last few months. I should have had my SIL guest blog for me, but I didn't plan that far ahead either. So hang in there dear readers, all ten of you, for I shall work very hard at giving you more posts then you have been given here in the last two months.

Bon Voyage. Oh, I just looked that up because it didn't seem right (my mother was poking me) and it isn't. That is what you are suppose to say to someone who is leaving. So...farewell? Until we meet again? Happy trails? You get the picture....

1 comment:

Susan said...

As I got onto to my computer to blog yesterday I realized I had changed my blog design last month to a Paris theme...very ironic after reading your post! Love the start of this adventure already! Can't wait to read all about it! Hopefully, no more mishaps! xoxo