Thursday, June 25, 2015

Day 5 - County Clare

We packed up, ate our breakfast, and lined up in the hallway for our instructions from Triona. She had our route all mapped out and went over her handwritten notes underlining and emphasizing as she did so. She shook all of our hands and then decided we deserved hugs, and she went around passing those out too. She gave the girls a bag of chocolate biscuits for the drive, wished us well, and stood in the doorway waving until we couldn't see her any longer. We all felt a little sad as we drove away as if leaving a dear friend. 

The day was very overcast with heavy clouds that looked full of rain. There was a lot of moisture in the air and we got a light sprinkle as we drove. Triona had sent us on the road along the coast toward Dingle, insisting that we explore the area as the view was incredible. She was right. 




It was also very winding and we climbed up into the mountains and then wound our way back down along the water. We made a small stop along the Atlantic, and Darcy and I ventured out in the cold drizzle to explore a bit and take pictures. We collected some shells and some rocks and then continued along the coast. Tom's crazy driving (in the minds of those of us squeezed into the back who bore the brunt of the uneven, bumpy roads) got the best of me and I eventually had to request we stop for a reprieve. 


We found a pub in a small town and stopped to use the facilities and decided to finally eat lunch at a decent hour. Munster Bar was small, but warm and cozy and we sat in tables and chairs made for Lilliputians and enjoyed hot vegetable soup and chicken wraps. We were tucked into a little alcove by the bar, and I heard music playing Carly Simon's, You're so Vain. I started singing to our table when suddenly a man having a pint at the bar behind me started singing loudly.  I joined him and we sang together for a few bars. He asked if I was from Kerry, but I told him I was from the States. "An American!" he exclaimed jollily, "Imagine that." I realized he was making fun of me with that, but I forgave him as when he left he told me I had a wonderful singing voice. I ignored the fact that he might have had a few pints and accepted the compliment. 


We carried on down the coast to Dingle. It was a small fishing village and we drove around before heading on toward the town where Triona told us we could catch a ferry to take us to County Clare. 


We got to the ferry just as it was arriving at the dock and we drove on and got off to climb to the second floor. As we crossed we saw dolphin. It didn't take long and soon we were back in our car and heading off to see the Cliffs of Moher. 




Madison was in charge daily of the GPS. Somewhere after exiting the ferry Tom took a wrong turn and our female GPS lady didn't like that. She kept telling him to "turn right at the next street, unnamed road". He would ignore that and she would repeat it again as we came upon another road to the right. Because we were in farm country he was having none of that. He insisted we were going the right way, and after a small argument, he begrudgingly turned right. Right into the middle of a pasture on a one lane road. 


It was like traveling down the roads to our Indiana farm, but here we could see on either side of us. Tom suddenly flipped out and started a tirade about how crazy we were to insist he turn down this unnamed road. He went on about how this was dangerous and how he has seen this movie before, and how we just didn't know...blah, blah, blah. In the middle of his tirade while he was turned around in the seat yelling at us a tractor pulled out of the pasture to our left directly in front of us. Tom turned around and saw this and got even nuttier. Now we were driving three miles an hour up this road with no way to get around the tractor or to turn around. Since this was the slowest he had ever driven we were happy to just take in the scenery without it being a blur. Saying this out loud made Tom's tirade get louder.  He kept going on and on, hoping we were happy, and while the rest of us tried to ignore him and enjoy the adventure we came upon these cows standing to our right.  

We asked Tom to stop so we could photograph them and he did, but he kept up his tirade, turned in his seat so he could see us. While he was carrying on, over his shoulder one of the cows was looking directly at us and he was chewing grass. The picture it made for the rest of us was priceless as it looked like the cow was mocking Tom. Each time Tom opened his mouth to speak the cow would open his mouth mid chew. It was too much for us and suddenly the four of us were laughing. 


Mary Anne started laughing first and soon, one by one, we were all laughing until we were crying. She couldn't stop laughing, and the harder she laughed the more we laughed, until eventually even Tom too was laughing. And then suddenly the tractor turned off into a driveway, the road ended and we were on the right path to where we wanted to go. 

Triona had sent us up the coast to see the Cliffs of Moher. Mary Anne was very excited about seeing this, and I am so glad she insisted. It was exquisite. Pictures really don't do it justice. We got there about an hour before it closed. The ticket attendant let us park in the handicap area so Mary Anne wouldn't have to walk from the car park. We got out and hiked up to the platform to see the cliffs. 



It was crazy windy. We had to walk up a million steps and the wind was so strong I thought it would blow Mary Anne and the girls back down. I had to put my hood up so my ears wouldn't hurt.  We took tons of pictures and then the four of us hiked further up to the tower. 


The girls paid to walk up the circular stairs to the top where the could look out at everything. I just tried to stay upright because the wind suddenly got even stronger and I was worried about getting back down to Mary Anne. 



We did all make it back, and because it was so close to closing we were not able to climb the cliffs. I'm afraid of heights, but I would have done that. I would not have crawled out to the edge like I could see other people doing, but I would have stayed behind the rope. In the end I suppose it would have scared me with the kids and the wind, and god knows what craziness Tom would have done, so it was probably good we didn't climb it. 

We looked through the exhibits inside the tourist building and then got back into the car and continued on up the coast. Our B&B was in the village of Doolin. It was a gorgeous home with modern facilities and furniture, and very clean. Almost too clean. The proprietor was a thin woman without any personality. Coming from Triona's place we felt very unwelcome. She showed us our rooms, gave us the rundown, and sort of acted like we were a bother. 


A pub was just a hop, jump, and a skip from the B&B and so we went there and ate. The food I have had so far has been dynamite. I had my third plate of fish and chips here and this one was the best yet, and I loved the other two. 


The vegetables in the salads (I ate it before taking the above pic) are so wonderful, crisp and fresh. We get every color of peppers, tomatoes, and cucumbers. The dressing is tasty too. I have no idea what kind it is, but I like it. We declined dessert and headed back. The girls and Mary Anne retired to their room. Tom went off for a stroll and I took the longest and best shower thus far of the trip. With modern facilities I figured why not? We slept well. 

No comments: