Saturday, August 29, 2015

A southern break

After tucking Madison in at college, Darcy and I headed to South Carolina where we have relatives in the Charleston area. I called at the last minute and invited myself and because they are good southern hosts they didn't scold me. Instead they said come on down and so we did. The drive took longer than expected since half of the way was two lane roads instead of interstates, but we arrived safe and sound. Joyce and James live on a large property with a beautiful home that overlooks the "swamp" with their two dogs horses Sophie and Blue. The horses roam the property freely and so it isn't unusual to find them peeking into the windows or standing outside the door looking for treats.






On our second day we drove into Charleston in the evening to reunite with their children, who I grew up with, and their families. We had drinks and snacks at the youngest child's home where we were entertained by their dachshund Griswald and their two children. We had a wonderful dinner at the eldest child's home where we had wine, great conversation with their two daughters (son was off working), and plenty of laughs.


It was a delightful break between dropping off Madison and heading home to ready for the school year. It's kind of crazy that we haven't done this more often. It has been eight years since I last traveled to their homes. Perhaps my new year's resolution this next year should be to travel more to visit relatives!

1 comment:

Susan said...

I'm glad you had such nice distractions! It looks beautiful there!