Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Out of the mouths of babes (apparently)

Times have changed, and while I consider myself to be quite "with" those changes, apparently I'm not as quick on the draw as I think I am. Recently, while dealing with a medical issue (blog on that tomorrow), the following exchange occurred. I was lying face down on the medical table while my friend, SueG, who had driven me to the office, was sitting at my feet in a chair.

Doctor: "Hey, thanks for bringing her in this morning."
SueG: "Oh, sure, no problem."
Doctor: "Are you going to be removing her packing tomorrow?"
Me: "NO"
SueG: "Sure, I can that. You don't want to drive all the way back here tomorrow for something that I can do in a few seconds."
Me: "I already made my appointment for tomorrow, and I don't trust you to be nice. She's in the medical field, but I'm not sure about her bedside manner."
SueG: "Listen. It's a long walk home today if you keep up that attitude."
Doctor: "So? You two are, what? Friends?"
SueG: "No, I just saw her on the side of the road and asked her if she wanted a ride."
Me: "No, I just randomly went through the phone book, and chose her number to call to ask for a ride."

We said that at the same time, both of us thinking it was the stupidest question we had ever been asked. I mean, what? How else would we have come to be in the office together if we weren't friends? Since we are both smart asses we just answered honestly, and he laughed.

Doctor: "Well nowadays you never know who is friends and who is..."
SueG: "Oh, God, NO."
Me: "Please! We're both married, but not to each other."
Doctor: "I guess I didn't put that very delicately."
Me: "Actually, we get this all of the time."
SueG: "We obviously would make good lesbians."
Me: "Yeah, mums the word, though, around our husbands. We like to keep them thinking they're the number ones in our lives."
Doctor: "Something tells me you two are trouble."
SueG: "Of course, we are. We're friends."

No comments: