Saturday, August 27, 2016

Ultimate Storytime with Thomas Sanders

Once I embraced social media, after fighting against it, (my husband insisted I learn to understand our kids' world) I did so with a passion. I joined Facebook, then Twitter, followed by Instagram and finally Vine. Vine is a social media platform for six second videos, and I joined because my brother and his wife had joined to follow their son, the up and coming actor. I joined too to be supportive, and while they have since deleted their app, I am still a follower. I like the quickness and creativity of the six second video, and it reminds me of all of the hours my friends and I spent recording our own little scenes in my bedroom as tweens.

Back in those ancient days, video cameras recorded on film, and children were never behind the camera. Instead we recorded our creativity via audio cassettes. My friends and I invented radio shows, game shows, and talk shows complete with our own commercials, and we edited and worked hours at creating our masterpieces. One of my friends and I wrote a musical using songs from our 45 records. We acted it out using one person to man the record player, cuing up the right record when it was time for the characters to sing. We had dreams of being discovered, of showing the world our talents, and of becoming famous. I still have some of those tapes today, much to the horror of my daughters, but we darn creative and perhaps ahead of our time.

So when I discovered Vine it brought back my own creative endeavors. I started out following the most popular viners, and eventually through reposts, settled on following several that I felt had the most talent in all of the departments from writing, to directing, to acting.  One of those was a viner named Thomas Sanders.

The first vine I saw was one of his "Tottleberry" vines that he would do when he found a sign that made no sense. Because I find humor in that very thing, I clicked on his page and watched more of his vines. . He was so happy. His creativity and talent was A+ and family rated. All of us starting watching his Vines because they were good, funny, and had us laughing out loud. He instantly became my favorite, especially when he sang a shout out to all the "Cara's" (yes, with a "C") in the world.  I have passed on his talent to anyone who crosses my doorstep and my path.

Darcy: "It's a little weird. I mean, he's in his twenties."

My daughter finds my social media obsession odd for an "older" person. In her mind, it is all "fan girling", and when I argue this point and explain how I use to do this very thing only with a microphone and a cassette tape she rolls her eyes. Parents aren't suppose to be on social media. Never mind that half of Vine is people my age making videos! I aim to support all of the people who I enjoy. I have people who support me in my blogging, and I only feel it fair to do the same in other realms. We are, after all, in this social media world together.

Eventually, I found out that Sanders was based in Florida, attending the University of Florida, and that made me want to support him even more. A local boy makes good kind of thing I suppose. Frankly, I just find him to be talented and creative. I enjoy his "Disney Pranks" where he surprises friends with various Disney props. I laugh at his "Storytime" where he approaches random people and gives them a line in his best narrator's voice, and then films their reactions. I like the messages he sends out to his fans, who call themselves Fanders, and I feel that in this world of chaos he brings in a little levity in six seconds.

As Vine grew in popularity a few years ago he was interviewed on The View, in a segment they did for a week on Viners. He talked about his dream of working one day on Broadway, and how he was enjoying this ride he was on in the land of social media. Eventually, like all new fads, Vine began winding down, and many of the Viners turned to YouTube. Sanders was no different, and while I've watched some of his videos and watched his ads so he can collect his pay, I prefer his Vines.

Around the time that school let out for the summer, he announced a project he was working on. He and four friends were going to go on tour to various venues around the United States and Canada performing a musical loosely based on Sanders' Vines. Opening night was in Tampa. The four of us jumped at supporting him. We bought tickets for all of us, and then Darcy bought a VIP ticket so that she could attend a meet and greet with him. This was a surprise to Madison and me since we are bigger fans of his than Darcy, but it was her money.

Friday night we attended the big event, "Ultimate Storytime with Thomas Sanders". We really had no idea what to expect. It was held in a night club, standing room only while gathered around the stage. The VIP ticket holders went in first where they were treated to a meet and greet photo opportunity with Sanders, a Q&A with the actors, and a few extras. The rest of us stood outside in the horrendous heat. About halfway through our time in line I received a SnapChat from Darcy and opened it.


I might admit that I screamed like a "fangirl", but I pretended I was annoyed he didn't understand I was there to support him, but really I was touched that she took her time with Sanders to do that for me. He was gracious enough to also take a photo with her.


We eventually got into the venue and headed past the bar, where quite a few parents where hanging out, and we met up with Darcy who had secured a decent place to stand. It didn't take long for the musical to start, and when Sanders made his debut on stage I might have screamed along with all of the rest of the Fanders. It was like the time I saw Barney, the purple Dinosaur, in concert only I didn't shed tears this time. There was an icon! Right there. On stage. Someone I've been supporting and laughing along with and enjoying immensely for a couple of years. Right there in front of me. I get emotional like that.

Darcy: "It's weird. You're too old for that."

I'll remind her of these hateful spewings when she is older and still feeling twenty-ish inside.


The musical (photography was not allowed) was very good. It incorporated a lot of Sanders' Vine characters within the story, which carried an upbeat, happy-go-lucky, be who you are kind of message. It was very positive, very entertaining, very creative, and very funny. The actors were wonderful, the singing good, and the whole show made for a delightful night. Both Tom and I enjoyed it immensely...even at our old ages. We left the venue feeling very positive. I think too for me it was also nice to see that having an idea, a dream, can also become a reality, and that there are people out there willing to take a chance on social media stars and help them obtain their goals. It was just a message of hope all around.

Darcy: "Awwww, Mom, you are so happy you got to see Thomas Sanders. I'm glad I had him make that SnapChat."

Ultimate Storytime with Thomas Sanders continues until September 2, 2016. The album is also available Here. If you want to follow him on Vine, and get a daily chuckle, just search for his name at www.vine.co. 

No comments: