Thursday, July 12, 2018

Putting the drums into action

After I got the call for the birthday, I mentioned my drumming to my cousin--because this family of mine--they are musicians. And singers. And crazy. But mostly because they are musicians and I knew one of them had to have a drum kit. So I could practice.


I was right. Above the barn at Joyce's house is a studio with all sorts of instruments. I spent the first day there in the heat practicing. There was air conditioning, but it took forever to cool, and I couldn't wait. I needed to drum. It was awesome. I drummed for half an hour, and then Darcy texted me that she was in the bathroom vomiting. I texted back: "Do you need me?"

Not my finest moment, but people! I'm a drummer, and I was feeling the beat.


I did stop to attend to her, but once she was feeling better, I went back out to the barn and drummed for another hour. Until my butt was sore and my arms tired. I loved it. I truly am going to have to get some drums. And maybe a barn studio.

The next day Mandy and her kids came over, and we all went into the studio to perform. It was even more fun. Darcy had brought her ukelele, and Mandy's daughter sings, so we put it all together and rocked out.



For the first time, I got to be a part of the music instead of being a bystander. I loved it. I've been bitten by the music bug and shall commit until I'm playing a song. Of course, first I'll need some drums. And some more lessons. But baby steps. That's how it's done. 

1 comment:

Jay Brewer said...

Drummer. Novelist. Mother. Cousin. Friend. LOVE THIS!!!!