Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Quarantine day 124

Yep, while the rest of you are out and about, we are still in quarantine, and that includes my two daughters and husband who only venture out to report to work. Other excursions still include essentials and the occasional take-out.

Okay, the take-out might be more than occasional, but shh...the husband doesn't need to know that.

I envy those continuing on with their summer vacations. I'm enjoying the pictures. We've discussed taking outings, but it's only been half-hearted attempts to maintain what used to be our standard. There are too many variables without the addition of COVID, and so, we stay in place.

I've spent the last two weeks in a depression alongside my eldest daughter, who is probably going on for three weeks. The two of us do talk it over and are very aware of our mental stability. When it really starts to suck us under, she gets in her car and drives, and I put on my suit and get in the pool. So far, we are managing.

A lot of mine stems from knowing my youngest is about to head back to college. Because her major has a small number of students, the plan is to throw them into large lecture halls with masks to spread out. Before the pandemic, we signed a lease for an apartment for a year, so she'll share with two other people who I hope are as safety conscience as we are here at home. Not knowing the truth? Yeah, part of my issues.

Meanwhile, arguing amongst the party lines continues. It's frankly growing old, but I have little hope for an ending where everyone works together. We are officially the laughing stock of other nations, and I'm quoting directly from other nations' citizens. I think it scares them as much as it does me. We are so ripe for more mayhem.

On the bright side, I'm still talking to friends I haven't spoken to in ages. Today I Facetimed with my old neighbor Howard who is 98 years young and living in Texas. He looked great, which made my heart sing, and it was so good to catch up with him and hear his tales. He is still the kindest man I know, and our family loves him dearly.

I've noticed something I never really paid attention to before COVID-- how quickly we deplete certain items. Who knew that Tom and I go through a tube of toothpaste in less than a month. I always thought it took forever for the paste to disappear so that I could switch up the flavor. The same can be said of other personal items as well as paper products. This is all stuff I bought in willy-nilly when on sale so that when we ran out, we went to the supply closet. Now that I'm only purchasing what is needed each week, I'm getting the scoop.

Although the same can't be said for my kids regarding toothpaste, I hold out hope and buy two tubes each month, just in case.

Favorite shows I recommend - Amazon's Step Dave and Netflix's Never Have I Ever. My addition to Instagram is Leslie Jordan at thelesliejordan. I recommend going back to his beginning and starting there. So many great laughs.

Mask wearing is prevalent here now, although there are the one or two yahoos who dare you with their sneers to come at them. So far, those have been white males, not that I'm keeping track. It boils my blood, and I do a lot of muttering behind my mask, but so far, I haven't confronted anyone to trend online. Probably a good thing I only go out once a week or so.

People I know and love are now testing positive. As my SIL said, it would eventually creep closer, and maybe then we'd take it seriously. It breaks my heart to think of how careless we are, and I include myself in that statement. Getting out once a week makes me forget to follow the arrows in the grocery aisles, and it's why I keep a bag of masks in my car. Who knows what is safe anymore?

Sigh.

Putting on my suit and heading to the pool now. Stay safe, everyone!

No comments: