Monday, October 19, 2020

Monday morning NFL 2020 recap - week 6

Steelers: This was not the game I expected, but in no way was I disappointed. I don't even know what to say about the Browns, although according to the announcers, Browns' quarterback Baker Mayfield's ribs were the cause for all their woes. I could've used those ribs as a drinking game as they were discussed so often.


  • I didn't know Mayfield's ribs were sore since I barely followed their game last week, but I learned very quickly that he was a man walking gingerly. They wrapped him in everything but bubble wrap, and maybe that was underneath his jersey too, but something tells me he's going to be hurting tonight.
  • The other story that wasn't a story but not for the journalists was how Browns' defensive end Myles Garrett would react against the Steelers and vice versa. Remember that debacle from last year? Yeah, exactly. It's old news. We've never really had issues with the Browns like we do with the Ravens and Cincinnati, and thankfully, everyone acted like adults and played football without the drama.
  • Defense! Defense! When those guys come out to play from the beginning, watch out! A big downside was the loss of Devin Bush, who tore his ACL and will miss the rest of the season. A huge loss to the Steelers defense. Sigh.
  • Another big day for running back James Conner, who ran for 101 yards 
  • Locally, the Steelers were on CBS, which was fine until the powers-that-be decided our game was too boring. They switched from our game to the Patriots/Denver game with eight minutes remaining, and since I had paused my game to be involved in an upcoming home improvement project, I was too late to switch over to my Sunday NFL ticket app. So, I can't comment on what happened in the end.
  • Have I mentioned how much I hate the stiff arm? James Conner is the king of that, and I wish he'd just stop.
  • I also thought I'd have to bring up the use of Bennie Snell Jr. again this week, but after grousing aloud about how disappointed I was that the Steelers coaches obviously don't read my blog, Snell Jr. was used in the second half to punch in the inches when we needed them, including a touchdown! Maybe Alexa was passing on the information.
  • Most of the time, I find the announcers annoying, and while Jim Nantz and Tony Romo were tolerable, they did provide a few laughs. My favorite was showing us the exchange between Ben Roethlisberger and the ref while waiting for the replay call on Claypool's touchdown. The ref told Ben Romo thought Claypool was in, and Ben agreed, giving Romo a thumbs up and calling him Antonio. Okay, stuff like that (especially when we have a big lead) is entertaining. 

Other:


  • The Bucs put a beating on the Packers with their defense, but Ndamukong Suh made sure he was the one who kept quarterback Aaron Rodgers on the ground. Suh and Rodgers have a history, and Rodger's mouth and his pointer finger let Suh know he wasn't playing his dirty football games.
  • Washington's coach Ron Riveria chose to go for the win instead of the tie with 36 seconds left on the clock against the New York Giants. While I get that mentality, I didn't get why quarterback Kyle Allen, who scrambled to his left, didn't continue and scramble into the end zone when he clearly had an open path. Instead, he was taken down, and the Giants finally won a game.
  • Kudos to former Bucs coach Raheem Morris for leading Atlanta out of the dark hole and into the locker room with a win. Morris replaced the Falcons fired coach Dan Quinn this week.
  • The Bengals blew a 21-0 lead against the Indianapolis Colts, and then when it looked like they'd take the lead with a field goal, their kicker Randy Bullock missed the 48-yard field goal with eight minutes left to play and then sealed the loss after Burrows threw an interception.
  • COVID is still circling the NFL, but all the games were a go this week. No word on the investigation into the Titans' handling of the virus, but it certainly hasn't slowed the team done any. They roared back to beat the Texans and earn a place next to the Steelers with zippo losses thus far.

No comments: