Tuesday, July 06, 2021

Another car story

Tom's car sat in our driveway for a couple of weeks until he sold it for parts. He had my car one day before one of the tires went flat, and he had to replace all four of them. I harassed him a bit about that--in jest, of course--but I think it probably occurred when I rescued him on the bridge. The area where he'd pulled over was quite the spot for broken-down vehicles and tow trucks. I wouldn't doubt I picked up something in the tire there.


No matter. The van looked spiffy with new wheels, and Tom drove her most days except when I needed her. Maddy became my chauffeur, which was nice, but the thought of not coming and going when I wanted was tough. Not that I get out much. But, need milk? Nope, I don't have a car.


One evening, Tom and I went to Grammy's. On the way to her house in the van (with Tom driving), the fuel indicator light came on, and the van began its familiar sputtering while stopped. Now, those who read this blog know this isn't my first rodeo with that light coming on. For those who aren't familiar but care to see, you can find those here and here


We made it to Grammy's and later back home. The next day the van went into the shop. Where we were told the SAME THING, WE WERE TOLD LAST TIME. I made sure to get it from the horse's mouth.


Owner: "Hondo recalled that issue years ago. We told you that the last time you brought the van in."


Me: "Yeah, well, Honda told me, according to my VIN number, all was fine."


Owner: "Idiots."


Mechanic: "Listen, I'm the one who worked on your van. I've got a buddy who works for Honda. He said this is a huge problem that doesn't get better even after it's repaired. So my advice to you is to get Honda to fix it, and that's going to be a big if since the recall expired already, and then sell the damn van."


Me: "Can't you just fix it?"


Mechanic: "For about six grand! Honda will do it for free!"


Me: "If they honor the recall that has expired."

Mechanic: "Yeah, there is that. But I think they'll fix it. And then you sell the van and get something else."


I did not cry in front of them, although I may have mentioned we were already down one car and had already replaced one kid's car. They pursed their lips, gave me sad eyes, and nodded in solidarity, but unless I was forking over six grand and having them fix it, what did they care? I appreciated them faking it, though.


So, Tom called and made an appointment with Honda for the next day. Then, he decided that we should take the mechanic's word and get another car. I reminded him that he needed a car. He shrugged and said we'd worry about it later. 


Tom: "I'm concerned that Honda isn't going to honor the recall because it expired in 2018."


Me: "So, if I had just taken it to a Honda dealer in SC when it first happened, this might have been a non-issue."


Tom: "We can't speculate about what-ifs. But, we also can't keep driving this van because it is in serious condition, and I don't want the engine to blow. So, we hope Honda will honor it and fix it, and then we get rid of it. If they don't, then I'm going to insist they help us with a deal on another car."


And off he went the next morning to the Honda dealership. As soon as he set off down the road, he noticed the fuel pump indicator light was not on, and the car was driving nicely like it had been since January. 


Tom: "It was the weirdest thing ever. I mean, nothing. It ran like a dream."


He turned it over to the mechanic and explained the issue. The mechanic said the recall had expired, but he'd check things out. He told Tom to sit down, and off he went with the van. Tom instead went into the dealership. 


Tom: "And while I was with the dealer learning that leasing is the way to go during this crazy car-buying time, the mechanic returned with a perplexed look on his face and told me there was nothing wrong with the van and did I want an oil change?"


Me: "Dear God, the mysterious fairy has reappeared!!"


Tom: "It doesn't matter. We can't keep driving the van. You know, and I know that the light is going to come back on. The van is going to break, and we need to get rid of it before it costs us more than what it is worth. I had them appraise it, and we can turn it over to them when you find something you want."


So, the next day he sent me off to test-drive vehicles. I reminded him that he had no car, but he insisted I have mine first. Whatever. Darcy came with me, and we entertained our salesman--the greatest guy EVER. 


After spending--and I'm not joking about this--twelve hours at the dealership in two days, Tom and I both left with two leased vehicles, a new insurance company with lower rates, and a newfound friendship. While I have quite a bit of anxiety over this, I do love the new car smell. Now, if I only had somewhere to go...



No comments: