Thursday, July 01, 2021

Our June summer

June came and went in a blink of an eye. I used to think this during the summers when the girls were young. You know, no school, no routines, nothing but endless days of vacationing and fun. Yet, summer flew by, and I used to think that one day when school was no more, summer would gradually meander. Yeah, no. It isn't happening. Maybe it's because one daughter is home and the other is on the verge of returning? 


The month began with another overnight foray for me. My local writing group had a weekend conference where I apparently forgot all about the pandemic. Not only did I forget to bring masks with me, but when I got them, I didn't use them. I wined and dined out, and handwashing and sanitizer seemed like a distant memory. Yes, yes, I've been vaccinated, and I've gotten the memo on how protected I am. Guess what? Several days later, I was sick in bed with a sinus infection!

My job at the conference was selling tickets for the 40+ raffle baskets. I got close and personal with every attendee. I handled money. I haven't handled dollar bills in over a year! Still, it was tons of fun. I put myself out there and met new people. I learned tons of new information about the writing business. All of it sustained me while I spent the next few days in bed and on the couch, sniffling and blowing and whining about how the real world outside my home sucked.

Also, at the beginning of the month, my SIL and family from Chicago visited. She and Darcy share the same birthday, so we were able to celebrate them together. We had dinner at a restaurant of Darcy's choosing.


Darcy: "I turned 21 during a pandemic! I couldn't go out and celebrate that milestone. I had to legally drink at my house with my parents. I don't want to hear it!"


Nancy: "Okay, you win."



Then we went back to Grammy's and had cake and champagne. Oleg arrived from the other coast to spend the weekend, and the visit was filled with lots of cards, beach time, and swimming. Unfortunately, I missed out on most of it since I was at the conference, but the cousins had such a good time they made plans for the girls and Oleg to visit them in July.



My writing program with RWA heated up in June. With only one month left before we submitted our work, everyone was furiously writing and finishing up manuscripts and pitches. It was a flurry of activity, and I was very sorry to have it all end. I got so much out of working closely with an expert in the field. This month was an introduction to social media as an author. I had to start a Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram account in my pen name, and I tweeted and instagramed the heck out of June! While nothing came of the showcase (which turned out to be a dud), I got exactly what I wanted from the program, and I hope my mentor and I stay in touch. Frankly, truth be told? I wished she'd edit anything I ever write again. 

As great as the beginning of June began, the month slowly went downhill. First, Madison and I got sick. Then Darcy fell next. She spent the month running back and forth between here and her apartment at school, taking jobs as they were available. Finally, Tom's car, which stranded him on the causeway at the end of May, died. The engine blew, and it wasn't worth it to fix, and since I hardly go anywhere, I told him to take my van. 


Me: "We can manage through the summer. The girls will be here. We can drive you to work if and when I need the car. That will give us three months of saving for another vehicle."

Yep, folks. That's what's called foreshadowing...

No comments: