Tuesday, July 26, 2022

COVID and we all fall down

Several days before Oleg's birthday, I had nose drainage. The kind that slithers its way down the back of the throat, pooling until you can't help but cough. I had the throat tickle. I felt lousy in the evenings. But no fever, no body aches, no loss of taste. I continued going about my days, including spending a stint with Grammy in the ER (she's fine). I still mask and rarely go out. 

I know my body. I suspected I was well on my way to a sinus infection.

But, just in case, I quarantined. Truth? I thought doing so would get me pampered. Ha!

I stayed in Darcy's room, aka the guest room, and slept on a blow-up mattress. Saturday, we got the news Oleg had tested positive. Not long after that came the text from Darcy in Alaska. Her group tested before boarding their trip's cruise phrase, and guess who came back positive? Again, with no symptoms. She was coming home.

Immediately, Madison and I took the home test. Both of us came back negative. Still, I moved into the Steelers' room while Darcy took her old room. 

And then Tom fell. 

Maddy moved temporarily into Darcy's apartment because she had a planned vacation in a few days and didn't want to chance it.

Tom stayed in our bedroom. He did not test himself.

Tom: "Why? I'm sure I have it."

Me: "Uh? So you're sure?"

I, meanwhile, had a telavisit with a medical professional who agreed that my sinus pressure symptoms, significant headache, and loose cough with gross fluid sounded like a sinus infection. She gave me an antibiotic. Within three doses, the headache and pressure disappeared. Still, it took ten days and then some to feel a hundred percent. Did I have COVID on top of sinusitis? Who knows? I held on to that one negative test.

Tom missed a week of work. Darcy never had symptoms. She and I shared the pool, one going in first, the other after because we were over our four walls.


Although, I must say the Steelers room was top-notch. I had everything--refrigerator, computer, television, couch, futon. Okay, the futon sucked after the second day. By day five, I released myself and repeated the sinusitis diagnosis if anyone asked. I did wear a mask.

We all survived. Then, Madison returned from her vacation. On her first day at her new job, she tested positive for COVID at a walk-in clinic where she hoped they'd treat her for a sinus infection.

Oops.

This time I ran away--to Orlando!


No comments: