Monday, August 08, 2022

Happy Birthday Tom 2022

Every year, I ask Tom what kind of cake he wants for his birthday. Because, unlike most people, he isn't partial to one flavor or type. What he does enjoy is a cake I wouldn't put on a top ten list.

For a few years, it was an ice cream cake. I'm not a fan of combining the two. If you want ice cream with your cake, put a couple of scoops beside it on the plate. But, it was an easy cake to purchase.


One year, he asked for a chocolate chocolate chip cake. Not a chocolate chip cake, but a chocolate chocolate chip cake. In this house, Darcy and I are vanilla. Madison is chocolate. Tom is whatever he feels like at the time. A lot of times its carrot. 

Cakes are not meant for vegetables.

I searched high and low for a recipe that fit his description, which included glaze. I found one, and I made the damn cake. And it was delicious. Another time he asked for an upside-down fruit cake. Neither of us can remember the fruit, but this year he decided on an apricot upside-down cake.

I couldn't tell you the last time I saw an apricot. I just know I don't like it, probably having been forced to try one as a child. I suggested alternatives like peach or apple.

Tom: "It sounds so good."

I looked up recipes. He vetoed them.

Tom: "Here's one--a caramelized upside-down apricot cake. Delicious."

I whined. He gave in and decided he'd like a pie from the Village Inn down the street.

A pie? 

Not that this birthday was about me, but pie is not cake. Cake is a traditional birthday treat. It is the LAW! Unless the pie is Village Inn's peanut butter pie. Then, it's okay.

He asked me to pick up a berry fruit pie, and I agreed. Only, the morning of his birthday, I was so intent on getting outside to join my neighbor for our walk, that I completely forgot to wish him a  happy, happy. 

I decided I'd make it up to him by baking the damn apricot cake.



It wasn't bad.

But then, we also had a strawberry rhubarb pie for those not interested in my cake because Tom picked that one up on his way home from work.

Darcy: "Gee, I'm sorry I missed it...NOT!"

Happy Birthday big guy! You do put up with a lot from the women in this house!

No comments: