Friday, December 01, 2023

Christmas 2023 has arrived

Is it me, or is the Christmas holiday starting earlier and earlier each year? Going on the assumption that, yes, it is, my theory is that people are kinder during the December holidays, and we are desperate for that cheerfulness. 

It makes me nuts when retail puts out Thanksgiving stuff in October before we've even passed out Halloween candy and Christmas stuff before we've given thanks in November. So, imagine my dismay when the husband announced the day after Thanksgiving that we should get our tree.

Me: "Absolutely not!"

He went through the points he throws at me yearly when he wants to get a tree, and I object.

The best trees are the ones selling now.

All of the trees will be gone by next weekend.

Most places are already sold out.

I did what I do every year he wants to get an early tree, and I object. 

Me: "You are full of holiday crap."

Hmm. What was I saying about kindness? The man may have a point about starting earlier.

Still, I just cleaned and put away my Thanksgiving and birthday decorations. Can't I have a week to enjoy that?

But then, we had a blast of cool weather blow through, and knowing it would feel like the season, I dug out the Christmas boxes and sifted through them instead of going to the gym. I donated, tossed, and decorated the inside of the house very minimally, earning my steps walking to and from the garage. 

The husband could have cared less, which is why I refuse the early tree thing.

I do all the work!

I relented on December 1st. 

Madison had plans and was a bit bummed we went without her, but this man was determined. The two of us went to Lowe's and entered the outside tent, STUFFED to the gills with various varieties of trees. 

Me: "I thought you said they wouldn't have trees."

Him: "They won't by this weekend."

Maddy is usually our tree finder, Tom is the holder, and I'm the final decision-maker. Without her, we wandered. Tom looked at trees that would not fit our sized living room. I had to steer him toward the smaller trees. The ones I liked someone else held, so I helped a few families find their trees. 

Eventually, Tom returned to a tree he liked, and finding nothing to rival it, I agreed.

It took us less than thirty minutes.

Tom: "Sorry you didn't get to chop your own."

Me: "Yeah, but it wouldn't have compared to last year's experience, and this is the Florida way."


It smells divine. Tomorrow we will decorate it.

No comments: