Monday, September 09, 2002

By the dawn's early light

My husband says I have a weird thing when it comes to lights. I'm either "turn out the lights," or I'm, "turn on the lights," depending on the scenario. 

For example, when I'm driving at night, I need street lights. This might be a night vision problem that needs addressing, but I also need a light on when I watch television. Not while in the theater, only while watching tv at home. Why sit in the dark? I don't like it. 

Our living room doesn't have any overhead lights, only a lamp. There are no windows in that room, and the lamp doesn't put out much of a glow. I tried adding lighting with a halogen bulb, and if I have both turned on along with the lights in the dining room, I can manage to see when I iron, sew, read, and watch television. It drives my husband batty. He thinks its too much electricity.

On the other hand, I don't like the light. I love night lights, however. I grew up with night lights. We had them in the bathroom, in our bedroom and in the hallway growing up. Nightlights are like little guides showing you the way. 

The first gift Tom ever got me was a night light he bought for use in his bathroom. I was touched. That same night light is now in use in our master bathroom today. It is on when I shower, and when I brush my teeth and when I go through my nightly routine. I don't ever turn on the light at night in my bathroom. Showering by night light is quite soothing and relaxing.

I also don't turn lights on in the morning. I dress in the dark. Do my hair in the dark. I look great in the dark. Only on rainy mornings do I turn on the night light to put in my contacts. My husband, however, flips on the light every time he enters the bathroom. I'm surprised he isn't blind by now as bright as that thing is when you come in from complete darkness. My father used to wake me for school by turning on my bedroom light. It was so unnecessary. He knew though that I'd get out of bed to turn it off, and he counted that as a plus, I guess. 

I am quite good at navigating in the dark. In Indiana, I moved from one room to the other in the night without tripping. I never used lights because we had the nightlights for guidance and because I could see very well in the dark despite not consuming many carrots. In Florida, I do the same, only turning on lights in areas where there might be creepy, crawling cockroaches. It is quite a contradiction to my no lights in the night routine. But I'm afraid that is a dilemma that most likely will not get solved anytime soon. 

I do not like lights on when I sleep. As a child, I had a night light. As an adult, I like it dark. My bedroom is a cave. I have blinds and curtains on my windows. My clock radio has a red amber light that puts out a glow with just enough light to tell the time. My husband's CD clock player has an obnoxious bright, green, neon light with 3 different settings: bright, suntan, and burn your eyes out. It is always pointed at me. He also has the baby monitor pointed my way. It has a red, laser light that is like an eyeball staring at me. I use a stuffed dog to block out the glows from his nightstand. 

I've never really thought about this "weirdness" as my husband calls it. I like lights at times and I dislike them at other times. All perfectly normal, I think. My favorite lights? Christmas tree colored lights. As a kid, I loved crawling under the tree to read. Maybe Tom will join me there this year. Get an understanding. I'll ask him. 

No comments: