Monday, September 02, 2002

Sewing Part II

I have tried to sew. My MIL Mary Anne purchased a book on sewing for me, and I have read the entire book. I made it through the first two instructions, which were to sew around the collar of the back and front pieces. I had to do this twice. The first attempt was brilliant, but then I realized that I had not backstitched. Backstitching, according to the book, is VERY important. The machine I am borrowing backstitches automatically in the beginning, so I thought I was okay. It does not, however, backstitch at the end. Which must be done. It is imperative. I had to take out the stitches and start over. I got very frustrated.

Instructions number three had to do with the interfacing mentioned above. Honestly, I'm still clueless about interfacing. I'm not sure of its purpose even after studying the pictures and reading the instructions. I also had Tom study the images and read the directions because I figured he learned from my MIL, so he must know, right? No, go. I had to call my MIL. She laughed. Then she explained. I still didn't get it. She laughed some more and suggested I bring it with me when I come to her house for dinner. Whew. That's a relief.

I brought the sewing stuff. The woman is a genius. A true seamstress! She explained step #3 and took me through it. I now understand interfacing. What a great concept that stuff is. I zipped through that step and right through step number four. Darcy then tried on the dress, and I measured her for the hem. Then I got to use my MIL's $2,000 machine (she bought it used she says) and oh, my, what an excellent tool that thing is compared to the one I'm borrowing. Smooth. Electronic buttons. Snazzy. Slick. I'll probably need one of these soon now that I'm getting the hang of this sewing stuff.

Mary Anne took over and put in the buttonholes. I took the time to stretch my back and did a puzzle with Madison. I realized later I should have been studying the master so that I could learn how to do my own damn buttonholes. Oops.

Mary Anne turned it back over to be for the next step, and then I sewed on the buttons. That I am very good at doing. The buttons are cute little duck buttons I found, and they match the dress fabric. They are a pain to get through the newly sewn buttonholes. I guess I didn't think that one through. Sigh. Thank goodness the dress is big enough to fit over Darcy's head without unbuttoning.

I now consider myself brilliant. I have created something. I have sewed a size 3 toddler dress!

Behold!





No comments: