Monday, March 01, 2010

Giving neighborhood watch a whole new meaning

My neighbor Garnet, and I were out with the dogs when I noticed the mail truck down the street. I made a comment about how late the mail was and Garnet said the mail had already come. We both stared at the obvious truck down the street.

Then we began speculating on why the mail truck was parked outside our single 20-year-old male neighbor's house.



  1. Perhaps the mail person had had a heart attack
  2. Perhaps the mail person was inside the truck having lunch
  3. Perhaps the mail person was inside enjoying some afternoon delight
We crossed off  #1 after wandering down to the truck. We could see the windows were rolled up and the doors locked and we didn't see anyone sprawled across the seats. Nor did we see anyone slumped under the pedal so we also ruled out #2.

We concluded #3 was probably the most accurate of our speculations. This was Garnet's suggestion.

Me: "Well, I don't see any rocking of the truck, and having once upon a time hit this truck I do know it is made of tin. If two people were inside doing the hanky panky, this truck would definitely be rocking back and forth.

Garnet: "I mean inside the house, not in the truck."

Me: "Oh."

they were enjoying the afternoon delight in the house."

We hung around watching and waiting, but no one came in or out of the truck. A few hours later the truck disappeared.

Today Garnet and I were outside once again and our mail lady drove by and hopped out to chat with us about a piece of mail she had delivered to my house.

I told her the tale of the mysterious mail truck.

Her: "That was my truck. It broke down yesterday. I had to have someone come and pick up me and the mail and then someone else came and towed the truck."

Me: "Well, that's boring, but mystery solved."

Garnet: "Our solution was more exciting. We thought you were inside the house having some afternoon delight."

Her: "If I were to do something like that, I'd do it on another street because boy, you two don't miss anything on this street, do you?" 

No comments: