Saturday, March 13, 2010

Grateful to a stranger

When Madison was in the 3rd grade she took her first set of standardize tests. She scored quite well. Well enough that Duke University invited her to join their TIP (Talent Identification Program) which recognizes academically gifted students and provides them with innovative programming to support their development. The program offered her resources, summer programs, and different contests for which she could participate. It also offered the opportunity to take the SAT test as a 7th grader. Duke's feeling on this is that it "provides helpful insight into their academic abilities and allows them to effectively plan for high school and beyond" as well as allow them a chance to preview the test they will take to enter college several years down the road.

Madison had wanted to take a test that was offered to her as a 4th grader, but we vetoed that one and instead had her wait until she was in 7th grade. The SAT test is administered at a local high school and these TIP students take the test with the high school seniors who are preparing their paths toward college. This made me a tad nervous as I would not be allowed with her and she would not be allowed to bring a cell phone.

We got to the school early this morning and when Madison saw the rows of high school seniors she panicked. She hadn't understood that she wouldn't be segregated. I went with her to the building and we stood around with all of the other kids. I imagined these seniors wondering what this old woman was doing hanging out with her kid. I, in turn, studied and judged each one of them by their looks and manners.

Eventually an adult appeared and called for students with the last names A - C. We started following him and he asked for Madison by name. He then directed us to the test center where a nice lady took her forms and sat her down at an individual table. She then looked at me and said, "Okay." I realized that was my cue to leave so I kissed my baby, wished her luck, and walked out of the door.

The walk to the car, through the throng of seniors, was the hardest thing I have done. When I got to the car I worried that she didn't have her lunchbox or her calculator. I wondered if I should go back inside to see, but then I got a hold of myself, started the car, and drove home. All the way back I thought of how unsure and unconfident I had been at her age and beyond. I worried that her years at the small private school would hinder her when she got to the public high school in two years. I had to stop for some doughnuts for comfort.

The test lasted five hours and when I pulled up to the school Madison was sitting outside waiting for me. She had been waiting for some time as the test had ended earlier than expected. She got into the car and I immediately started apologizing, worried once again about her being afraid or unsure without her phone. She, however, was fine. "That was easy!" was her first response.

In questioning her about her time and test taking she told me that at the break a girl had approached her outside and asked if she were with the Duke TIP program. She herself had once been in Madison's shoes, taking the SAT as a 7th grader. She asked Madison if she were nervous and scared and she relayed her same fears at that age. The girl told her that this was the time to relax and not have to worry about her scores as she had to at this age. Madison in turn told her about her small school setting. They chatted through the break and then went back inside to continue.

Hearing this I almost cried. My first instinct was to track this girl down, hug her, offer her a gift certificate or something for acknowledging my baby, for understanding, for being big enough to break from her group to put a thirteen year old at ease. Of course, I would never find her, but I offered up a prayer that somewhere, somehow, this girl will be paid back for her kindness. And I know that somewhere down the road when Madison takes the SAT test for real that she will pay it forward to some other scared TIP 7th grader.

No comments: