Saturday, May 18, 2013

5 things that happened in the days I didn't blog


1.  My yard kept growing!  I love to go outside and sit and watch my new grass grow.  The other day I just went outside and stretched out on top of it and stared up into my oak tree.  I don't want to credit the homeowner's association for any of it, but I have to say they got the ball running on it probably earlier then we would have.  Of course we are in a level 4 water restriction right now in our county and on the website (which I discovered the day after we planted our grass) it clearly states that homeowner associations may not force homeowner's to re-sod their yards as long as this restriction is in place.  I wanted to print that out and put copies in all of the neighbor's mailboxes, but my husband wouldn't let me. 


2The Jacaranda trees bloomed!  I can't tell you how beautiful these trees are when they bloom once a year.  It is Florida's sign of spring, and since purple is my favorite color I just love them.  Most people agree they are pretty, but say they are messy when the blooms fall into the yard.  I think the layer of purple all over the yards are very lovely and thought how beautiful they would look spread over my new lawn.  I tried to get my husband to buy a jacaranda tree for our new landscaping from mother's day, but I think he sides with those people that gripe about the mess.  I thought vaguely about raking up some of the blooms from my neighborhood and sprinkling them on my lawn, but the last time I did something like that (raked the neighbor's leaves and hauled them into our yard so we could build a leaf house) my father went nuts and my husband reminds me a lot of my father so....


3.  I got a cilantro plant instead!  This was what I also wanted for mother's day because I LOVE this stuff.  If there was a perfume out there that smelled like cilantro I would buy it.  I love the smell of this herb and use it in so many of my chicken dishes.  I saw that they were selling them in my grocery so I made sure to tell my kids that is what I wanted since last time I told my husband we ended up with culantro.   I told the girls I wanted to have a little pot of it in my kitchen.  They relayed that to their father who found two plants while out buying his landscaping stuff for the yard.  Excited he purchased them, told me he had found them, and before I could glance at them he had planted them in the side of our yard!  I then went to the kids and reminded them that it was my day and I wanted cilantro-in-a-pot-that-I-could-have-in-my-kitchen.  The girls came through and I have it in my kitchen, although after researching how to grow and cut I think I'll have to eventually transfer it to another pot and put it outside.

4.  My new camera broke!  For some reason after NYC I had trouble transferring the pictures on to my computer.  I've always had trouble doing this since I got the camera at Christmas, but after a few times turning the camera on and off it has worked.  Not so this time when I had tons of photos on my photo card.  Turns out the area where I plug in the cord to charge the battery or hook to my computer is shot.  Tom reminded me that I could take out the photo card and use that to download my pictures, and I got them all transferred, but now I'm reduced to using my Iphone for pictures.  I have yet to box up the camera to send it off for repair and the other day I read an article on a new Canon camera that actually has Wifi to allow you to upload to social media so of course now I want that camera.  In the meantime the Iphone camera isn't bad and now that I'm on Instagram I try to post a photo a day. 



5.  Tom landscaped our yard!  His fingers, wrist, and hand finally healed enough that he could plant.  He didn't do much, and I would have preferred more color, but I liked what he did do.  The tan mulch goes nice with the green lawn and my sister-in-law will love the new palm trees which he said he planted for her.  I hate gardening so I can't whine...much.  I plan on adding some hanging colorful baskets to my front porch so that will add some color.  And my palm tree loving-garden loving sis-in-law will be here in a few weeks so maybe I'll have her do some gardening to add some color.

1 comment:

Susan said...

LOVE THE YARD AND LANDSCAPING! All looks great! Can't wait to see it in person!! Not much longer:)))))