Wednesday, May 15, 2013

New York City - Day 4


The next morning we awoke to the sun and warmer weather.  We took our time getting started.  Gila and Ariel were going to an afternoon play and staying another day.  Darcy and I were meeting up with Kelly's sister, Kathy, and her son, Ryan and leaving that night.  We had breakfast at a little place that Gila knew, sampling pastries and more Israeli dishes.  We walked the city some more popping in and out of shops.



Then Gila led us to the park where we were said good-bye and met up with Kathy and Ryan.  I had asked Darcy what she wanted to do in NYC before we left Florida and she said she wanted to see Toys r' Us, much to my chagrin, but I wanted to honor that request and since it was in Times Square I figured she would get something out of it.

"You can see Toys r' Us in Florida," Ryan said when he heard what Darcy wanted to see.

"Not with a Ferris Wheel," Darcy told him. "This one has a Ferris Wheel."

"There is a Ferris Wheel in Toys r' Us?" Ryan asked shocked, and when his reluctant mother fessed up that there was he was jumping up and down with Darcy to see Toys 'r Us.

We walked to Times Square and climbed the stairs to take in the view.  The Square was packed with tons more people then when I had been there last.  The city was crowded the whole day we spent on Sunday, more like what I had imagined in the first place.  I think everyone was just so happy to see the sun!



The line for the Ferris Wheel was minimum so we paid our money and stood in line.  We got to sit together and the wheel definitely let us see the entire store and all of its floors.  We wandered through the store and the kids purchased some candy and took part in some toy demonstrations.



Once back outside we walked through Times Square again and then walked more of the city showing Darcy Radio City Music Hall, the CBS studios, and the ball that she watches drop every near year.


I told Kathy that I had seen everything in NYC for the most part except for the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty, which was closed for repairs.  Kathy made sure that I caught a glimpse of both.


We had a snack and then toured Grand Central Station.  Ryan had written a paper on it so he showed us some of the finer points of the station and gave us a little background on it.  We bid them good-bye outside of the station and walked back to our hotel.  We picked up our luggage, joined Linda and her kids, and shared a van with them to the airport where we all headed back to Florida.

It was a good site-seeing trip for me and a good educational experience for Darcy.  The next time I go back I will stay longer, see a show, and visit when the weather is warmer!

No comments: