Thursday, May 16, 2013

Happy Birthday to my mom

Today is my mother's birthday. She is 79 years old. She is five days out of her fourth hospital visit in two months.  This last visit was only 12 days from the previous hospitalization.  She has COPD and a suppressed immune system and when she goes down she goes down hard and fast.  This last visit she spent six days in the hospital getting IV fluids and antibiotics until her veins blew and they had to start her on oral antibiotics.  They took her down and off of some of her pain medications that suppress her immune system in hopes that she could get over this hurdle and stay out of the hospital.
I don't know how she keeps on doing it, but she does.


She is still living in a wheelchair and rolling around in her condo with the help of a lady in the morning and a good friend in the evening.  They cook her meals and help her get up in the morning and put her to bed at night.  They also entertain her and break up a day that is usually filled with nursing visits, therapy, and Rays baseball.  She misses the beach, the golf course, and the outdoors.


I keep trying to stay positive that she will heal.  I hope that her foot will finally close enough that she can get back up on her feet.  She has bad days.  She has good days.  I try to hold on to those days.  I wish for her today that it is a good day.  I wish for her today a happy day.  A Happy Birthday kind of day! 

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Happy Birthday to Connie. It is nice to have the wonderful memories of her when she was golfing, bowling and just a vibrant person. I hope only the best for her and to you and Rusty too. I know it is hard to see our parents grow older. Please know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers. I hope she has many more good than bad days:)

cmkerwin said...

Thanks Michelle, that's kind of you. I forgot the bowling!