Thursday, February 20, 2014

My feelings on The Wells Report

Once the NFL ends I usually don't blog about sports, which I find odd since I am a sports fan of a variety of different sports.  I have an ESPN app and a Yahoo Sports app on my phone and Ipad, and I receive sports updates daily through them.  Lately, I've been receiving the Olympic coverage that has allowed me have a lot of fun with my husband at night when we watch the delayed coverage.  Friday the NFL Wells Report on the investigation into the Miami Dolphins bullying incident was released.  My app let me know that it was online, and later in the evening when I had some time I read the report.  All 144 pages of it.  It was sickening.  Not only was Johnathan Martin bullied by his Dolphins teammate Richie Incognito, but also by two other teammates and a coach.  And it turns out, he wasn't the only one bullied.  The report also found that these four guys bullied another teammate, who was not named, and a Dolphins employee.

The report is horrific. It doesn't hold anything back and is complete with quotes, text messages, and tweets. The language is brutal.  The bullying disgusting.  The racial and homophobic mentality sickening.  These guys taunted Martin with gestures and words, and used his mother and sister in their cruelty.  I felt ill after reading the report and took a long shower just to try to feel clean.  The fact that there are people in this world out there that are capable of thinking these things, that are capable of doing these things, that are capable of pushing these thoughts and actions on to others is the reason why I vote against party lines.  While there are many political topics and subjects to address and pass through Congress I don't believe we can succeed as a nation, as a whole, until every individual, regardless of race, sex, religion, nationality, and sexual orientation, has the same rights and respect that we all deserve as human beings.  No one, no party, no group, no government, and no person, should have the right to dictate over and interfere into anyone's personal and private life.  Until we can all realize this simple truth we will never be able to work together, to come together, as a nation.

So far not much has happened in the repercussion of this report.  The Dolphins have fired a long time trainer and fired the Offensive Line coach who was named as one of the bullies.  Nothing has happened with the players involved.  Nothing has happened with the Dolphins head coach, Joe Philbin, who the report claimed was unaware of any of the activity. Which is an issue in itself. How, as a head coach, are you unaware of this type of behavior?  He should be fired for that alone.  Shouldn't head coaches know what the hell is happening in their locker rooms?  And maybe he did really know it was happening, which then means he should be fired for not stopping it.  

The NFL has got to stand up and take a hard stance with this report. Several Dolphins players have already pooh poohed the report and dismissed Ted Wells, the attorney who led the investigation. Other players have made remarks and told stories about their first year hazing experiences, shrugging as if to say, "We got through it. No big deal."  I, for one, am tired of the whole "This is sports.  This is football.  It happens" script. Why does it happen? Why has it been allowed? As we have evolved over the years why haven't these players put their foot down and said, "Really? Aren't we a little old for this kind of crap?" I never experienced that behavior when I played sports. It hasn't happened throughout my daughters' sports experiences, including high school athletics.  Don't tell me it is "men being men" because those guys? Those weren't men. Those were nasty, sick individuals that got off on preying on those who they felt were weak. Those guys were bullies, plain and simple, and they went far beyond any "freshman hazing" rituals. The NFL players are always preaching, "It's a business," when they are traded or fighting the organization for better salaries. Well, then they need to remember that as well. The NFL is a business, and in any business in this country that behavior is not allowed, and employees are protected by law. 

All of the players in the NFL should be made to read the report. They should think how it would feel if their own children were in Johnathan Martin's shoes. The report talks about what a kind, caring, open hearted person Martin is. The kind of guy who would walk an old lady across the street and help kids learn to read. He was considered weak because of this trait and because he avoided confrontation off the field. Who in their right mind finds that right? I have a child like that, and I'm damn proud of her. She solves issues in other ways, and I don't find that wrong. The fact that there are people out there that find her way wrong? That would harm her because of that? That is what is so scary. 

I think everyone should read the Wells Report. I keep thinking surely if everyone read it those that feel differently from me would be horrified at what they were reading.  But then I was at my daughter's soccer game wearing my Steelers jacket and a parent made a comment about the team.  I looked over at him, this parent whose daughter plays with my own, and saw that he wore a Miami Dolphins hat, and I mentioned that I had read this report.  His response?  "Oh, you mean, the report about guys playing REAL football? And the wimps that couldn't handle REAL football?" And he scoffed.  I told him to read the report and then tell me he still believed that. But the fact that he read any information about this report and still could have that reaction?  Sickening. 

Later, the father who was sitting between the two of us, leaned over to me and put his hand on my arm.  "I believe we can't have that behavior in any business," he said.  "It isn't right in or out of football." It gave me some hope.

No comments: