Monday, June 09, 2014

5 things to start the week


  1. I bought bagels last week as an "end of school-welcome to summer" treat for the family. We have a Panera Bread within, as Tom would tell us all, walking distance, but I stopped there on my way back from the gym. Which meant that it was after the breakfast rush and the choices in bagels were limited. I ended up getting half a dozen bagels, four of them in a cinnamon crunch, which was the kind I always bought my mother who loved them. My family, not so much. The problem is that the top of the bagel is full of a sugary, cinnamon crunchy goodness that, while delicious, is a pain in the toaster. It burns or it falls off in the toaster making a mess. To counteract that I only toasted the bottom half of the bagel, but when I went to take it out of the toaster with my fingers (something I rarely do because my fingers are heat sensitive) a piece of the sugary goodness was on the back of the bagel and it ended up on the end of my pointer finger. Where it burned the shit out of my finger. I dropped the bagel and when the pain did not stop I realized the sugar substance was attached to my finger, and I admit it, but I was so taken by surprise at the fact that this small piece of sugary goodness could hurt this much that I just stood there. By the time my brain registered, GET THIS OFF AND GET UNDER WATER, I had a second degree burn and a nice white blister. This has turned into a brownish, black, hardened piece of skin like a callous, and because it is on the end of my right index finger makes my life a bit difficult. My phone does not register the hardened thing on my finger thus no touch id and no texting. Typing on a keyboard feels strange since I have little sensation. Trying to peel off sticky substances such as tape is impossible. And to top if off the thing scares me when my eyes land on it because it is small like a spider. It is almost to the point where I can pull it off. I figure about two more days. I can  hardly wait.
  2. My computer has started acting up when idle. For some strange reason that my electronic guru husband can't figure out, it does a restart and stalls at the point where it registers the mouse. Only it can't register the mouse. It can't even find the mouse. I put new batteries in the mouse and I put new batteries in the keyboard and still it shuts off after about 15 minutes. I have to restart it manually at which point it does read the mouse and turns my computer back on with no problem. It is driving me nuts. This morning my husband informed me that the computer is old and outdated and, as soon as he begins a sentence with those words, I cringe because I know what this means. This means he is going to do something with my computer that is going to lose vital information and he is going to install a new system on my computer that will infuriate me because I won't know how to use the damn thing. He has parts of computers and the innards of computers hidden in various spaces throughout the inside and outside of our house. He is a whiz when it comes to rebuilding computers, but it takes FOREVER and frankly the man does not have that kind of time for computer work that doesn't pay a monetary value. So I suppose I should start looking at some other options.
  3. My picture organizing is still ongoing. I have the stack of pictures that everyone pulled randomly from my organized boxes for the memorial service. I have photos from The Condo. I have photos that I found inside boxes of my mother's belongings that I hauled home. I have the realization in going through said photos that my children will one day have to do the same and will they be like I am, interested, yet overwhelmed? This led me to a re-organization project which has not gone the way I was hoping. I bought a large file box/container hoping all of my pictures would work in there instead of in the seven boxes I have them in now. It didn't work with a filing system. It didn't work with two boxes side by side. Currently I have them stacked in rows on the bottom and then cardboard on top of that so that I can stack more pictures on top of those. Not ideal if I need to get to the pictures on the bottom. The worst thing about the whole project is the mess in my Steelers room, the dining room, and the closet. It is all frustrating and the more frustrated I get the less I want to work at it. Which doesn't help in getting anything tidy or clean. I wish I were creative enough to design an answer to my problem that would then make me rich.
  4. Since the girls have been out of school I have been more of a chauffeur then I was before school let out. I did not think that was possible. The worst thing is how they just expect it. Demand it. "Oh, hey, mom, Boyfriend and I are going to meet for lunch. Is that okay? I have to be there in half an hour." or "So and so can't come now to the baking day and she was our ride to the grocery so can you take us? And we want to get Thai food before we go to the grocery." or "I signed up for Boot Camp and need to be there by 8:00 am." I was getting annoyed at all of this running hither and yon, some of which requires me to sit in the car and wait, until both girls went off to work this morning and I was left in the quiet house to finish eating alone. I didn't much care for that scenario either.
  5. After researching a Facebook friend's Jamberry Nails site I bought some cheap brand at Walmart to try. Holy this could be the answer to my nail biting! I actually have nails now. Quite exciting.

No comments: