Friday, June 27, 2014

5 things to start the weekend


  1. The weather. Yes, I know. I gripe when it is cold and now I'm griping when it is hot. Too damn bad, this is my blog and I'll gripe when I want, and right now I want to whine about the hot weather. One of the issues with living in Florida is the up and down weird weather. While this year we did get a "spring" of sorts before we got the hot weather it feels like the hot weather in June is the hot weather we usually get in July. Or maybe I've just forgotten. Either way the weather is hot, clammy, and stifling. I've been trying to get into the pool daily and even at 9:00 in the morning the weather is all of the above. The pool water is hot and not refreshing. Still...I love Florida, and the weather, and my pool.
  2. College visits. When planning our summer I left the last week of June free for college visits. Tom decided that North Carolina would be a good place to go, specifically Raleigh since he spent ten years in college there as there are many colleges within that area. I had a vision of college visits for three of the days and then maybe a trip into the mountains. Our visions were not on the same page apparently as I wanted to drive and he did not. By the time the back and forth had ended Tom and Madison were flying for four days to Raleigh to visit Duke University, North Carolina University, and Tom's alma mater North Carolina State. Darcy and I were left behind, much to her great happiness and joy. I have yet to recover from the snub, although I do enjoy not making my bed and leaving dirty dishes in the sink.
  3. First night at home. A year or so ago I would not have slept while Tom was away. I just couldn't. I worried about everything that went bump in the night and about every evil person and thing in the world. Then after years of that I got over it. So when Darcy and I came home after a night of partying with friends I didn't hesitate to walk the dog in the dark. I did check both of the cars that Tom drives that sit out in our driveway, and upon finding them both unlocked, I locked them and only briefly muttered about his inability to listen to me when it comes to locking the cars. Then I went inside and promptly went to bed. It was after midnight by this time. I went right out due to alcohol tiredness. At one o'clock my dog began barking and then howling at the door leading to the garage. When I saw the time I got up, trudged out into the dark kitchen, opened the door, turned on the light and showed him that his daddy was not home and in the garage. I assumed that was why he was crying because Tom is this dog's whole world and I knew he was confused as to why the man had not come home. I shut the door and locked it and started back to bed. That is when I realized that the helicopter that I had heard upon exiting my bedroom was back again. I hadn't paid it much mind the first time as we get a lot of planes and helicopters flying over us during the day, but when I heard this copter the second time I knew what that meant. Sheriff. The department my husband works for has a helicopter that they use when hunting down bad, bad, bad people. The helicopter was flying in circles over my neighborhood, shining a big, bright light down into my backyard and those yards of my neighbor's. My dog would sit on the couch while I moved from window to window, door to door, and suddenly the hair would stand on the back of his neck and he would jump up and begin barking, "Intruder! Intruder!" at the various doors I have that lead to the outside. This went on until three o'clock in the morning at which point the helicopter either caught his man or gave up. I then promptly went to bed and got four hours of sleep before the dog woke me for his breakfast and daily walk. 
  4. Teen Driving. I still can't deal with it. I have apologized to my children for my lack of ability to allow them to drive, but I have made other arrangements for them. My good friend, SueG, has been taking Darcy driving each week. She offered the same to Madison, but SueG frightens Madison and so she opted out. SueG frightens Darcy too, but driving outweighed that and so she has been learning with her. SueG had her drive us the night we went out partying. Darcy drove SueG's car and her children to the restaurant and then to KMart where we partied. SueG made me a nice cocktail to relax me before we went and then gave me a sippy cup for the ride. Darcy did very well and SueG's twelve year old son did well by keeping me occupied with conversation in the back seat, but occasionally I did have to close my eyes and pray. It is so weird that I can't handle this driving stuff. SueG is so good at it, talking her through situations and explaining what is needed. She has been through it once already with her older son, but she just has a knack for it I think. I told her I would hire her when I open my driving school.
  5. Estate Management. My mother told me that the job of the Personal Representative (the term executor is obsolete now) was a difficult one and time consuming, but I have to say that I haven't found it to be so difficult. I have had a few glitches and problems like the credit card and bank and it is time consuming, but for the most part it has been, well, quiet. The Internet is helpful. The lawyer is helpful. There are weird things that pop up that take time to deal with and make me a bit nuts, but I'm dealing with them. I am amazed at how willing people are to accept it when I say my mother died. I was told to order tons of death certificates because everyone requires one, but so far I've only given out two. The other day Darcy and I went to collect on a loan she had given and the accountant handed over the check without incident and without asking for any identification or death certificate. I had the paperwork and that was good enough for him. I'm thinking I'll write a book of what people should do before they die to make it easier on their loved ones though because the information that is out there is misleading and confusing. I keep waiting for something major to happen that will make me go, "OH, here is what everyone was talking about when they said this job sucked", but fingers crossed I'll be the one person who just sails smoothly through.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Sorry, I couldn't get pass you telling me it's too HOT there!!! lol of course I blog today...about the total opposite!! hahahaha I can't wait to be in that heat!!! :))