Saturday, June 21, 2014

Go Windows 8.1!

My computer died, the innards I mean. Whatever that means. I don't understand any of this technical geeky computer talk, and honestly, I have too many other things in my brain to add this to it. Especially when I have the tech computer guru living in my house. Why worry? I depend on him for these matters. And he delivered. He decided for me, after giving me two options, that I needed a new desktop computer, and by that he meant new innards, hard drive, or what not. Again, I don't clutter the brain with stuff like that, which annoyed my mother, but she isn't here now to worry herself about stuff like that either.

Tom suggested I decide between a docking laptop and a new desktop. I researched it, something he has taught me to do, but then he called me from the computer store and told me he thought a desktop was the way to go, and I didn't argue. I like having a computer on my desk because then I have to sit up straight in a chair and it makes me feel like I have a job. Bottom line.

He came home with the new system unit (I used Google) and installed it that very night. Usually when Tom installs or works on a computer it takes days hours. And I mean days hours. I have spent many an days hour sleeping sitting nearby while he works to finish installing or fixing a computer. I didn't expect this installation to go any faster, and so instead of heading to bed that night at a decent hour, I felt the need to stay awake as he was doing me a favor. I would venture into the Steelers room/office and inquire to how things were going. He would grunt and I would head back into the other room to pass the time with television or tidying up the kitchen. At midnight I went in to check up on him and found him cleaning up. He was done. I was shocked. He was shocked.

Tom: "I even put your hard drive into this computer with no problem. I moved some programs, but the rest...well, I don't know anything about Windows 8 so you are on your own. Good luck."

He put the old innards into the new innards' box, and he went to bed. I sat down at the new computer (it is easy to call it that despite having only new innards) and stared at the Windows 8 screen, which looked like the picture below only with strange squares on it that meant nothing to me. (This picture has my new tiles on it now that I've learned all about tiles)


Both the girls and Tom had told me that "everyone" hated the new Windows 8. I found that the Start screen reminded me of my Apple devices only without the touching capability. I began Googling (a bit difficult in the beginning because Microsoft wants you to use Bing as your search engine) how to work this new system and pretty soon I was pinning and unpinning tiles to my start screen which then led to deleting and adding apps. I ended up playing on the computer until 2:00 a.m., and when I went to bed I absolutely LOVED the new system.

I've read a few of the comments on why "everyone" hates the new operating 8.1 system, but I have to say that I find it not that difficult once you play around with it. I've had more problems with going from all the other operating systems in the past then I did with this one. I enjoy the tiles. I like that I can change their size and move them around in position. I like that if I get confused in finding a tile I can click the arrow at the bottom and it takes me to an alphabetized version for easy searching. I like the taskbar and the split screening, even though I have two monitors. I really haven't found much to dislike, and I am pleasantly surprised that I have adapted so well. Usually I am whining and whining about new fangled changes and having to relearn things. I wonder if this means I'm actually becoming techy?

No comments: