Sunday, July 19, 2015

The End (UK Summer Trip 2015)

We had to get up at 4:00 the next morning to drive to Glasgow. Tom was very nervous that Maude would take us on a crazy route that would have us driving for miles, but she didn't. She got us to the car rental return place in an hour and we had no trouble returning our dented vehicle. There were no questions asked and we bid good-bye to Maude and Scotland and flew back to Dublin.


Our plane to Orlando was delayed so we hung out in the Dublin airport near our gate. It was an area as big as a mall with lots of tax free shopping and an upstairs food court. We filled out our tax return forms and did some shopping. Finding out our flight was delayed even longer, we went upstairs and ate. We found a nice spot to sit where we could charge our electronic devices and we slept, read, played, and blogged. One by one we would get up and leave and walk around the mall airport. I bought a toothbrush and paste and freshened up in the bathroom. Our flight was delayed even longer and we spent about eight hours waiting to board our plane.

The flight back was uneventful except for the annoying man in front of Tom. He was in the bulk head which had three chair lengths of foot room yet he insisted on reclining his seat back which put Tom's knees under his chin. I tried to get Tom to discuss the situation with the man, but he refused and instead pushed his legs against the seat so that it wouldn't recline. This back and forth went on for hours and just really made me angry. How much room did this man need?

We had several meals on the plane. I watched two movies. I slept about thirty minutes. I changed clothes once in the nice surprisingly roomy bathroom and used my new toothbrush. At one point I had to get up to find some water as I could feel I was getting dehydrated. I went to the back of the plane as it seemed closer, but it was quite the little hike. I found two stewardess at the back of the plane in this huge area sectioned off with a curtain. They sent me back up to the next section, and I hiked back up the plane to the section by my seat. No one was there so I kept walking up further. By the time I got to the next section I had gotten a work out. That plane was huge! And I was only in the middle at that point. That stewardess was in a small section talking to a passenger and she happily poured me a tiny glass of (no ice) water. I smiled at her and told her I was going to drink that and would need more which I did. I really needed her to just give me the bottle, but I took the second glass and hiked back huffing and puffing to my seat.

We landed in Orlando on Sunday morning. It took an hour to get through customs and then another half an hour to get to our car. By the time we had dropped off Grandma and driven home it was 5 o'clock in the morning. Needless to say we were all pooped. Elliot greeted us with a wagging tail, but we had awakened him and he seemed disoriented.

We fell right into bed and grabbed four hours of sleep before Tom got up to walk the dog, and I got up to watch the men's finals of Wimbledon. With tea. Who says my vacation is over?

No comments: