Saturday, January 07, 2017

NFL 2016-2017 picks - playoffs

Should be a fun weekend. A cold front has moved through Florida this weekend so we will actually have football weather. I'm looking forward to vegging on the couch and sucking in all of the games.

Houston over Oakland - This one seems like a toss up. I mean, the poor Raiders looked like real contenders this year until their quarterback Derek Carr took a tumble and broke his leg. If that wasn't bad enough, they then lost their back up quarterback, and are now going with their third string quarterback, Connor Cook, who last year was still playing in college. Pair that up with the Texans Brock Osweiler, he of the take-over-for-Peyton-Manning era of the Super Bowl winning Broncos, who lost out his quarterback job this year with the Texans for poor play. The only reason he is back at the helm is that his back up quarterback Tom Savage suffered a concussion in last week's game and is out. Put that on a scale and I think Osweiler's experience tips it. That's my opinion, but hey, anything could happen. The rookies have been on fire this season. Everyone thinks this game will be the most boring out of the four this weekend, but something tells me we might be in for a treat.

Seattle over Detroit - The Seahawks have either scored big or scored less than ten this season, but they have all the advantages; a great defense, a star quarterback. On paper, despite many lackluster performances this season, they tower over the Lions who have a quarterback, my good buddy Matt Stafford, with a broken digit or some such injury. Since that finger issue Stafford has thrown five interceptions with his gloved hand. I would love to see the Lions win today, but I don't see it happening.

Pittsburgh over Miami - My nephew Ted will not be surprised to see this pick. He thinks I have a hatred for his Dolphins, but truly I don't. I have teams I dislike, the Bengals, the Patriots, the Ravens, but I would put the Dolphins on my list of teams that mean-nothing-to-me. Which means that I might root for them or not depending on the circumstances. This would be one of those times that I will not root for them. The Dolphins beat us early on in the season and it turned their mediocre team into one that kept winning enough to squeeze them into the playoffs. The Steelers, at home, will not let that happen this week. Besides, I won gear from Steelers Nation Unite. That's a sign. A winning one!

New York Giants over Green Bay - Okay, so I went back and forth, back and forth on this game. At the last minute I changed it to Green Bay, but then my gut was feeling something different so I switched it back to the Giants. Mainly, because I hate picking all of the favorites. I like to spice it up, and so I'm going with Eli Manning and Odell Beckham Jr. Frankly, I'm not sure why my gut is feeling this way. This is the Packers at home with the comeback quarterback Aaron Rodgers. Maybe I should just eat something.

No comments: