Monday, February 20, 2017

Night shower people are golden

I shower at night. I always have, at least as long as I can remember. Or maybe I should say as long as I've been in charge of the cleaning of myself. Because obviously, I was not in charge of this day time bath out in the yard.



I actually have OCD in regards to bathing. I can not, and I mean this truthfully, go to bed without showering and shaving my legs. Can't do it. I will not sleep. I will have anxiety. I will, well, who knows what will happen because I haven't not showered every night. The last time I remember not doing so was 27 years ago. I'm not kidding.

I don't understand not bathing before going to bed. It makes no sense to me, and so, of course, I raised my kids this way. Just like not feeding them beets or tomatoes or the other various foods I refuse to eat, I did not let them go to bed without a bath as long as I controlled their cleanliness. Of course, the day came when they took over that duty, but I felt I gave them a strong core with which to work with; you get dirty during the day, clean your body.



My husband, and pretty much everyone else I know, showers in the morning. I get it. There are days that I enjoy a nice shower in the morning. It is invigorating, wakes me up, and feels darn nice, but even if I do happen to climb in there in the morning, be rest assured that I also showered the night before. I have had many arguments regarding this topic, and recently, my friend Kelly tagged me on Facebook with 17 Reasons Why The People Who Shower At Night Are The Right Ones. Under that heading, was this: It just makes sense to go to bed clean. YES! YES! I've said this for years, people. Why do you go to bed dirty? Here are a few of the reasons they listed:

  1. You don't have to get up as early - Nope. I can actually sleep the extra time it takes to shower in the morning.
  2. Wash your face in the morning to wake up - Studies show that washing the face is just as good at waking you up. I pee, brush my teeth, and end my morning bathroom routine by throwing handfuls of water on to my face.
  3. You have bedhead, but that's what buns are for - When I was a teenage, I styled my hair after showering. My dad use to tell people I did it "in case I met someone in my dreams". Later, I just use to stick my head under the sink to wet my hair and then I dried it. Now, I'm just naturally gorgeous so it doesn't matter. Either that, or I do put up my hair.
  4. We are experts at getting ready quickly - Oh, yes. No one can believe how quick I am at getting dressed and out the door in the morning while looking like a million bucks. Okay, well, maybe that is exaggerated, but I am speedy keen on getting ready.
  5. More time in the morning means I eat breakfast - Hmmm...okay, sure.
  6. Our sheets stay clean longer - This is true, at least on my half of the bed. The other half, uh, no. Because I married a morning shower person. His idea of bathing in the evening is swimming laps in the YMCA's pool, and I'm not kidding about that either.
  7. It unwinds us for a great night's sleep - I believe this wholeheartedly. If I don't shower, I don't sleep.
  8. We get to spend as much time as we want in the shower - Because the only thing we have waiting for us is our bed!
  9. We hang out in our towel longer - Because we have no where to go, we can run around in our towel as long as we want. (Uh, okay, I don't do that, but sure, I could).
  10. We get to blow dry for comfort - The picture that accompanied this one was of a woman showering her lower body hair which cracked me up. Who thinks of these things? The caption below it said something about how those you live with love when you loudly blow dry at 11:00 at night. I only blow dry my head of hair, but for me, this could mean anywhere from 11:00 pm. to 2:00 am. No matter when I blow dry it is not a quiet affair either because my dog insists on barking and jumping at me as soon as I open the drawer where the dryer is kept. My husband has learned to sleep right through the dryer and the barking.
  11. We don't wake up with panda eyes - Apparently most morning shower peeps don't even wash their faces before going to bed. I can vouch for my SIL and friend who go to bed with their make-up still on. What?
According to this article, 53% of people shower in the morning. 47% shower at night. The article ended with #17 saying, "The majority are in the wrong. It just makes more sense to shower at night."

Exactly. But...wait...there is more...tomorrow...

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I agree 100%!!! Always have been a night shower person and always will be. Besides you always have hot water because everyone else takes one in the morning:)

A simple life said...

I'm a night showerer too. It's better for sleep...it prepares you to settle down and relax. That being said, I read all of your shower posts. Don't freak out...I only bathe Nolan about once a week. I told the pediatrician that last week because we're kind of friends due to our work situation and Nolan had a really bad rash. Dr. Reed (not my normal doctor, but the only one with an appointment the day I could no longer take the itching) told me to make sure and only bathe him once a week until the rash cleared up. I said....problem number one. Already doing that. Now...give me cream!