Thursday, March 30, 2017

Feeling the backside of a mule

I was recently asked to be on a panel to listen to companies bidding on a job. It was a two day, six hour total process, and I was happy to volunteer my time. The first day we listened to the presentations from the four different companies, and the second day we opened the sealed bids, created and filled out a rubric, made our decisions, and then reported it to the top dog.

Yikes. While the experience during and after the presentations were interesting and very educational, the experience in reporting was eye opening. Two administrators, and one who had been part of our group, all men, strode into the room as if they were coming in to make the decision whether or not to open the suitcase and push the big, red button.

One of the men from our group explained our rubic and went over much of the details of which each company was offering. He explained our thought process, our vote, our decision, and the information we had garnered from the references. Through the entire presentation, the top dog, seethed. Apparently, he preferred the current company, and the fact that we had not chosen this company did not sit well with him.

I don't work for the top dog, but the rest of the members do. They were nervous about having him come in, and they were nervous explaining our reasoning and answering questions. I piped in with my thoughts, as I'm known to do, and I didn't hold back. We all felt that the current company representative was not only too high, but he made several mistakes that, for me, threw him out of the running. Later, I learned that he has not only had the contract for the last twenty-six years, but he has also left the business with a debt and didn't get the product out in a timely manner. Also, in calling references for another company, we were given a reference for this company and it was not a good one. All of the things we had discussed about the rep were all of the things the reference mentioned too. Didn't matter. Top Dog wanted him.

While he didn't throw a fit, he was not professional. He made faces. He spoke in a manner that was not only demeaning, but held an angry current that frankly, seemed threatening. He questioned us as if we didn't know what we were doing. He rolled his eyes and shook his head in that how-did-I-get-stuck-with-these-idiots type of head shake. He didn't like that we hadn't called people he considered better references. While he left it, that of course, he would go with what the committee decided, he then stood up, called to the other two administrators, and went to "call his own references". What the hell?

I was furious. Listen, I'm a woman, and no matter how many changes happen in this country, we will never be equal in my lifetime. I'm hopeful for the future, for my girls, but I've resigned myself that it won't happen for me. That doesn't mean, however, that I have to put up with that abuse, especially in a volunteer situation where I'm giving of my time. I didn't come into this situation with an egg in the basket at all. I didn't give a shit which company this group chose AT ALL. But I was there to help make an informed decision for the business, and I did not take that situation lightly. We spent many hours talking through everything, and we didn't always agree. It reminded me of being part of a jury, going through evidence, and voting. All of us, took the job seriously, and to be dismissed that way was just plain rude.

I grew up with a father who spent his life as a salesman. He taught my brother and me how to be good salespeople. We know sales. Trust me, this guy, this representative who has had this contract for the last twenty-six years didn't give a damn whether we took him or not. Maybe he thought he already had it in the bag, but he did not sell us on his product, his proposal, his bid, or himself. Period. End of discussion.

Before the top dog strode out of the room telling us he was going to "call his own reference", he shook his head at our stupidity and said, "I know you probably think I'm acting like a jackass, and I am one, but that's how I got where I am." I leaned over, picked up my note, and said, "Let me write that down for future reference." And I did.

Jackass.

No comments: