Thursday, January 18, 2018

23 and me weight intervention study

Part of my New Year's Resolutions this year was exercising, eating right, and losing weight. As the first week of January, which I didn't count as the first week of January because there was a holiday and I was sick, came to an end I received an email from 23andme.com. I am a member of this site having spit into a tube to test my DNA. I get weekly updates, requests to fill out questionnaires (I'm in the top 96% of filling out those suckers, and all sorts of information regarding diseases, etc. It's great! I highly recommend everyone taking advantage of this opportunity.

The site was requesting that I participate in a weight loss intervention study. It would be a 12-week study and I would enter one of the three groups, following their suggestions and filling out a questionnaire at the end of each week. I thought it a great opportunity to incorporate my resolutions and to be held accountable so I signed up. I'm in the group of low carbohydrates which is exactly the group I wanted. Yay! Win, win! The study told me it began January 8th (see they think like me) and I would receive helpful guidance via email.

I woke up January 8th and went immediately to my email. Nothing. I didn't receive my "guidance" until January 10th and this is their helpful advice:

Here's your diet plan in summary form. Do your best to follow it for 12 weeks, starting today!
On this diet, try to aim for...
  • 3-4 servings per day of lean protein: mostly fish, seafood, chicken, turkey, duck, eggs or tofu
  • Lots of non-starchy vegetables, especially green leafy salad greens
  • Water, coffee, and/or tea (caffeinated or decaf)
  • For cooking, choose olive or canola oil

On this diet, try to limit...
  • Grains to 1 serving per day of whole grains
  • Fruit to 1 serving per day
  • Red and processed meats
  • Alcohol to 1 drink per day (or less)

On this diet, try to avoid...
  • Added sugars: cakes, candies, cookies
  • Sweetened beverages: Fruit juice, sodas, sweetened teas, sports drinks

Enjoy 1-2 snacks per day...
  • A small handful (1 oz) of nuts
  • Half of an avocado
  • A couple squares (1 oz) of dark chocolate, at least 70% cocoa solids
  • 3-4 dice-sized cubes of cheese (1 oz)
If you have a sudden craving, try
  • Drinking a large glass of water and waiting a few minutes. Thirst is often confused with food cravings. Research shows that drinking water before meals can reduce appetite and help with weight loss. Iced or hot tea or coffee (particularly herbal or decaffeinated) are also good options.
  • Chewing sugar-free gum -this also can help ward off cravings.
Uh? What? That's it? That's the diet plan? How about the non-summary form?  Two days later I received the very same email with the diet plan summary above. Okay then. I continued on with my week that started on the 8th and refused to fill out my questionnaire that came not long after my other emails. This company definitely could use my company's help. (You remember my idea for my company, the one where my company comes into other companies and shows them the correct way to do business?) Annoying, but I'm sticking to the plan the way it was supposed to be with me filling out the questionnaire weekly. Which began on the 8th. Alone. Without help.

I'll keep my weekly progress to the right of my blog under the daily picture which does or does not change depending on my photography the previous day. I also thought taking a picture of my face would be smart to see if I notice a difference in that thing between now and week 12. Keep in mind, however, that I was sick when I took this before picture, and I thought my hair was combed.


Here's to hoping in 12 weeks I'm down at least twenty pounds, two chins, and those bags under my eyes are not as puffy! Oh, and my skin not so pale. And that weird red mark on my chin is gone, and my hair looks better. (The after picture always has the person with better hair.) Go, me!

1 comment:

A simple life said...

That's no kidding. Why does the after picture always have good hair? And good make up? hmmmm. Marketing tactic if you ask me.