Wednesday, January 17, 2018

The plan

I decided last week, which I counted as the first of January, you know, after the holidays, etc, that I would start off each week with three goals in mind. Last week was the three "c's"; condo, cleaning, and Christmas. That meant that those three things were my main focus for the week and if I felt myself straying into say, exercising, then I would rein myself in and repeat the three "c's". My focus was clearly on cleaning my house, putting away Christmas decorations, and finishing The Condo preparations in time for the closing. Which was suppose to be last Friday, but wasn't due to odd circumstances that had nothing to do with my end of things. 

It worked fairly well. There were many times my head jumped around to all of the things I should be doing or needed to do, but instead of heading off to accomplish those things, I reminded myself that I had three main goals this week and I needed to remain focused on those. I did manage to finish most of the three "c's". I got all of my Christmas decorations put away. I cleaned most of my house which included a shit ton of laundry. (I had six different sets of bedding that had to be washed including comforters. Yee Gads! That took for.ever.) I completed my list of duties regarding The Condo but failed to close on the property. I gave myself a C for the week. A little pun for myself...

This week is exercise, writing, and disinfecting. My house has been a haven of germs for the past two weeks, and while I thought I had disinfected everything last week, my husband came home sick and the germs raised a finger at me and walked right back through the door. He went back to work yesterday and so I thought today would be a good day to wash the bedding (AGAIN) and spray the bedroom. And to finish the rest of the cleaning from last week.

The exercise portion of this week is to jump start me into a routine that will continue week to week. I've yet to do that this week. My excuse is cold. Now I've decided it's because I've become a hermit. I have no wish to leave the house. It seems like such a chore. And it's cold. Today I decided I would either walk for twenty minutes, dance or go to the gym this afternoon before my mammogram appointment. I've repeated this mantra over and over since climbing out of bed this morning.

The writing has been done. I had some exciting news regarding my writing last week. I am a finalist in a romance writing contest that I entered in Texas and I received my feedback from the three judges who read my entry which had to be the first 5600 words of my novel. I had to take that feedback and use it to edit my entry for the final reading which will be done by an editor for a publishing house and an agent from an agency. While being a finalist is exciting, I was more thrilled for the feedback. It is the reason that I'm entering these contests. I need to know that I'm on the right track and these three judges were like my Creative Writing teacher in college with the red pen. It was awesome! The advice, the suggestions, the changes.

This week my goal was to finish the editing and get it turned back in. I also had to write thank you notes to the judges and send in a headshot. A what? Thank god it didn't have to be professional because while I know that headshots are part of the process, I thought finishing my novel was more important than learning all the rest of the things like headshots, synopsizes, book covers, and back covers. Nope. Now I've been thrown into the fray and so writing was a must on this week's list. I've accomplished all of the above, thanks, SnapChat beauty filter, and I've also tightened my plot which was in desperate need of tightening. I set aside time daily to write and so far, I'm on track there.

Now if I can only get up and walk or dance in between chapters. Or clean a room. Hey, maybe that's the answer. Try to get a little of all three into each day. I'm going to start that. The dog and I are off for a walk....


1 comment:

A simple life said...

Awesome! I cannot wait to read your book! And now, I have the shelves to put it on :)