Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Brag

My number one nephew, titled this because in our family he is the chosen one first-born, is an actor. He has acted in commercials, a TV pilot, and a couple of movies, one available for sale in the DVD section at Walmart, Amazon, etc. Currently, he lives in LA and is trying his hand at becoming famous. Or at the least getting a job in the field.

To bolster his career he has added new things to his repertoire, his most recent a podcast. It's called The Latest with Austin Mason and features guests educating my nephew on things he doesn't know. Only having listened to a couple of podcasts in my time I'm not an expert. But I do have to say, that his voice is pleasurable and he is an incredible host. Quite articulate and funny. The first podcast wasn't that thrilling for me since I'm not a gamer and I spent it focused more on critiquing than I did on the content. Mainly, that consisted of me thinking, "Wow. When did this kid become a man?" I'm a little proud of him.

The second installment of his podcast was more my speed. He was getting an education in sports. Yep, those who know my family well, you read that right. Somewhere, somehow, my brother and I dropped the ball on sports with our children. We tried. We forced them to play enrolled them in sports. We took them to sporting events. We encouraged them to join us on the couch when we watched sports. It just didn't take. I blame our spouses.

In the podcast, my nephew brings up my brother's love for sports. Can I just tell you how surreal it was to hear him talk about his father? Like, as an adult. An old adult. Because at some point in the podcast 40 is referred to as "old" to these twenty-somethings. I don't think of my brother as old or as an adult, or at least as an adult of a twenty-something adult living in LA and about to get married. And, whoa! That sentence is even crazier! Married! Yikes.

But there it was on the podcast. My brother being discussed as a third party with a background and everything. It felt weird. As if I were listening to someone else's brother. Someone older and wiser. It's moments like this, and when I see myself in the mirror when reality really hits home. We are the elders and are now being discussed ON SOCIAL MEDIA.

Check out the podcast (and my brother) here.

2 comments:

A simple life said...

I love the podcast, too! I listened to the gaming one during my drive last week, but I still need to listen to the one about Russ. And sports :)

It's funny how, as we age, our version of "old" changes so much. I'm to the point in my life where I look at someone who's in their 80's as "young". Maybe we have transitioned to a time in life when there is no old. There's just young, alive and dead.....

Susan said...

Aww, thank you for this post I loved it! I shared it with Austin & Russ :)