Sunday, April 08, 2018

Wrapping up Spring Break II 2018


I like Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. So different from the west coast of Florida. It's nice sometimes to get away to spot the differences. The weather wasn't the best, mostly overcast and cold and our emotions fit that. The latter part of vacation is always less energetic than the beginning because we know what we have to go back to.


We spent a day poolside reading quietly, moving from sunbeam to sunbeam. SueG made acquaintances in the hot tub. The kids swam indoors and outdoors. We had a couple of cocktails from the crowded bar. Ended the night with dinner out and watching fireworks by the firepit beachside.



I walked the beach. It's not something I usually do, but it called to me. The water was SO cold and by the time I would return my feet were numb, but I loved it. Alex went with me once and we chatted and watched the sea creatures scruttle back into the sand and water. The beach here is vast. Wide. Plenty of space for walking and sitting. I'm sure this place is packed during the season. I'll skip that time.




We found some good places to eat in Myrtle Beach. I had some seafood. Enjoyed some good wine. I wrote at night, cuddled in my bed wrapped in blankets and my sweater.




We drove to Charleston on our way home, but the city was packed. Spring Break had just started for many and it was a Saturday and so we drove around the city instead of walking because we couldn't find parking. Then we started our drive home, stopping first to surprise my cousin Mandy who was on our way out of town.


She introduced us to boiled peanuts. I don't recommend them. She was poking holes in eggs and blowing out the insides when I arrived. A domestic goddess, albeit one I didn't relate to.

Me: "Why?"
Mandy: "So we can decorate them and keep them forever."
Me: "How many eggs do you have from the past? No one is going to keep this nonsense."

She had a dish of decorated eggs from last year. Point to her. She also had resurrection eggs, each egg had an item that told the story of Jesus' Easter resurrection. Mandy had gathered the neighbor kids that morning and given them the story using the eggs. It's a tradition. I want a carton of those.


The drive home seemed to take forever. About the Georgia line, my throat started hurting and my ears got clogged and by the time we got home Easter morning around 1:00 a.m. I was sick. Nothing like coming home from a great week to relax at home for another week sick as a dog.

Spring Break I and II 2018 are in the bag. Next up...California. My traveling portion of the New Year's Resolutions is definitely getting ticked off.

No comments: