Monday, March 11, 2019

Spring Break 2019 - Day 1

From the travel journal - 3/11/19 at 11:30 a.m.

Cara - It is precisely one year since I've written in the travel journal and traveled with the Glenn family. This year Madison has joined us as she is on her own Spring Break from college. We are taking a short two and a half-day trip. Sydney and Alex chose the Kennedy Space Center as our destination, and I vetoed doing it all in one day. I got us a Wyndham in Orlando to cut down on the driving and to extend the quality family fun time that SueG kept putting down as her favorites of our last trip a year ago.


Our time of departure was scheduled for 11:00 a.m. Madison rolled out of bed at 10:43 a.m., SueG drove up at 10:54 a.m., and we left at 11:07 a.m. I blamed Madison, but...HOLD THE FORT!

SueG announced she had to go back home because something was wrong with her security alarm. She said we could blame her now for the late start, but I reminded her we weren't on any time schedule.

We took care of the alarm, grabbed water, used the bathroom, and left at 11:21. But...HOLD THE FORT!

SueG forgot to turn up her A/C, and we are headed back to her house with all of us laughing. No hurry, though. Check-in isn't until two.

I entertained us with a recap from the journal entries of last year's spring break trip to South Carolina.  Lots of laughter. Sydney, after hearing about her lack of joining in on the previous road trip, took one ear out of her headphones as a compromise.

Also, she was worried we'd talk about her, which we attempted to do and is how we then discovered the uncovered ear.


We listened to the oldies station.

Madison: "It is actually Hits of the '80s and More". 

She found the "and More" funny.

The two oldies in the car don't know every word in the songs. I make them up, and SueG stops singing as if on purpose, giving a few shimmies and shake dance moves to cover it up. 

Madison looked up the lyrics on her phone to sing them correctly. For a moment, we thought she knew or at best understood Corey Hart's I Wear My Sunglasses At Night until we realized she was cheating.

Trivia We Have Learned Thus Far:

  • Lyrics to I Wear My Sunglasses At Night
  • Who is Charles Puth?
  • Who is Walk Off the Earth? - They are a band recommended to Madison by Austin.
  • Whether or not Dr. Phil has a Ph.D. - FYI, he did earn that.
  • Information about Florida Polytechnic College. Do they have dorms? Yes, two dorms consisting of 3 and 4 bedroom suites in Resident Hall I and 2 bedroom semi-suites in RHII. Also, the school is the only college with a library that is entirely digital.
  • If a tree falls in the forest, does anyone hear it?

SueG: "No. Only the wildlife hear it."

Me: "How do you know?"

SueG: "It's in the book."

Me: "What book?"

SueG: "The book, Every Question, and Answer About Nature."

Me: "Is that available at the Polytechnic digital library?"

  • What is something you want to do before you die?

SueG: "Travel. I'd like to go to Greece."

Cara: "Drive a big semi-truck so that I can blow the horn." SueG then mentioned how those trucks are stick shifts. "Okay, well, forget that. I just want to climb into the cab and toot the horn."

Madison: "Answer this question. No, I'm kidding. I'd like to go to Egypt."

Alex: "I want to go to Ireland."

Sydney: DID NOT PARTICIPATE

1:18 p.m.

Cara - We are stuck in stop and go traffic. I have tried my best to entertain, but no one has appreciated it. I've offered trivia, and I've rolled down my window to converse with other drivers. I want to ask someone if they have Grey Poupon, but most of the drivers are too young for that. Oh, and they don't have their windows rolled down. Last year we tried to get truckers to sound their horns, but no one would. 

When I came upon the first guy who did have his window rolled down, I posed that question to him.

Me: "Do you know why truckers don't honk their horns anymore? I'm just curious."

Him: "What?"

Me: "I'm trying to find out why truckers don't honk their horns anymore. Remember, as a kid, when we would do this to get them to blow their horns?" (I lift my arm and demonstrate)

Him: "No."

Me: "Okay, then. You're too young. Thanks anyway."

Alex: "He just mouthed, "What the fuck, lady?" as he rolled up his window."

He was driving a Toyota truck. What did he know about semis? Or anything for that matter? He wouldn't have had any Grey Poupon either. He sucked. No sense of humor. I mean, it wasn't like he was doing anything stopped in traffic. Well, he was smoking. I should have told him that would stunt his growth. Or discuss how filthy his lungs must look by now. 

I mutter all of this aloud to the participants in our van. I look for another participant, and when I located one, I discovered the driver had put on the window safety lock.  

Party Pooper.

No comments: