Wednesday, March 06, 2019

When you're just offering helpful parental advice

For Spring Break, one kid is coming home, and one kid is flying south for a ten-day study abroad trip. To prepare, the youngest came home to shop for necessities. That trip earned me over 9,000 steps on my Apple watch and lasted from sun up to sundown. I thought it would never end, but end it did with the two of us collapsed on the couch. Hostage for listening to her father tell her about the research he did on the country she is to visit.

At some point, I turned the conversation to what I felt was more appropriate. One where we, as her parents, tell her everything she needs to do and know regarding travel. Mainly things that would keep her safe because this is my kid who spent the entire day with her wallet hanging out of her back pocket, her attached lanyard dangling to practically mid-thigh. Oh, and her phone too. I felt it prudent we offer parental advice.

Me: "And don't put your wallet in your back pocket where it hangs out for pickpocketers."

Darcy: "That was my lanyard hanging out, not my wallet."

Me: "Stop arguing semantics and pay attention."

Tom: "You don't want to be stranded in a foreign country that's for sure."

Me: "I bought you a thing to put your wallet and your passport in. Use that."

Darcy: "We were given all this information on what to do. I know what I'm supposed to do. Stop worrying."

Tom: "Just play it smart. No back pockets. Take very little with you, and that way you won't lose much if something happens."

Me: "That's your advice?"

Tom: "You tend to go overboard. If she uses her head, she'll be fine."

Me: "Listen, I know about this stuff. I've had two purses stolen. How many wallets have you had stolen?"

Tom: "None."

Me: "Exactly! That's why she should pay attention to me."

Tom: "Sounds like she should pay attention to the one who's never had a wallet stolen if you ask me."

Darcy: "Yeah, Mom, sorry. You walked right into that one. I'm with Dad."

No comments: