Tuesday, July 16, 2019

An Elliot tale


The dog has been thrilled to have us back home. Especially since Madison and I are home most of the time during the day. He has been very needy, wants attention and love, and for us to play with him. He finally has comfort during the damn storms that have plagued us since we returned. He has been in heaven.

My neighbor, Bonnie, took care of him while we were gone. She came over during the day and took him outside and sometimes over to her house. Bonnie loves dogs, and Bonnie loves to reward dogs just for being dogs by giving them treats. Like bags of treats. If we are outside and she comes out, Elliot will take off like a shot to visit her. Because...she's the treat lady.

Yesterday, I went outside to retrieve my wallet, which I'd left in the car upon coming home from the gym. I took Elliot out with me thinking he could use a potty break. He instead needed some sun, so he plopped down in the driveway off to the side.

I was heading to the pool, so I just left him. He's getting to the point where he is too old and crippled to chase cars, and since the weather is so hot, he watches them go by. We rarely leash him at this point, and since he rarely stays outside in the sun past five minutes, I went back inside. Plus, it gave me a chance to sneak out into the pool without him knowing. Because he wants to come too and then, he wants to chase me around the pool barking like a crazy dog. Loudly.

I put away my wallet, told Madison I was going to sneak away to the pool, and reminded her that once Elliot started crying to come and get him. Because the damn dog won't just come inside. He will cry until you open the door, and then he will get up and walk inside. As I said this, I went back to the door to peek out at him. As I came up to the door, I saw that Bonnie's car was heading out. She was backing out of the driveway, and her garage had just closed. I looked for my dog.

He was gone.

Me: "Where did Elliot go? He isn't in his spot."

Madison: "Is he at the door?"

Me: "No. Shit. I bet he saw Bonnie."

Maddy ran to get on shoes, and we both went outside, calling his name.

Me: "I bet he's locked in Bonnie's garage. I bet he saw the door open and he took off like a shot, and she didn't see him! Oh, my god, my dog is locked in the neighbor's garage!"

Luckily, I have her garage code. Maddy ran over while I'm screaming out the numbers to her so that everyone and their brother can now get into the neighbor's garage, and as she pushed the button and the garage started lifting, there was my dog. Right at the entrance to the garage with a look on his face that said:

Elliot: "What the hell just happened? I came over to visit Aunt Bonnie, and the woman just took off and locked me in the damn garage. WTF?"

It was hilarious. After the fact. Damn dog.

Bonnie, when I called to tell her the story, worried he might have died from the heat if we hadn't found him. Maddy and I had pondered that, but we know he would have begun crying, and he's loud enough we would have heard him from inside our house. But I am lucky that I saw her leave at that time. Jeez.

It took a minute or two off of my life, I'll tell you that.

I tweeted:

My dog just got locked in my neighbor's garage, and she left. This must be why pets are supposed to be on a leash.

No comments: