Monday, July 08, 2019

But nope...not yet

I barely slept. That's the way it is when I have to get up at some ungodly hour. I think I woke every hour to check the clock. We were up and out by 3:50, and since our hotel was the first shuttle stop, our guy was already there. There were quite a few of us which surprised me. I didn't even get a chance to fill a cup of coffee, but I did snag some flavored creamers.



We got to the airport and through security, although for that time of the morning, it was awfully crowded. The flight to Phoenix was quick, and then we had to get off and head to another gate for a connecting flight to Tampa. That airport is crazy. We hit some coffee shops and got some food, and then we had to spread out at the gate because it was so packed. Darcy and I were together, and Maddy was off somewhere when they announced that the flight was overbooked.

Blah, blah, blah. I've heard it before, but this time my ears perked up. For the first time in my life, I didn't have to be anywhere. I wasn't looking forward to getting home for Christmas or for visiting anyone. American was offering $600 for people to hop off the flight. I looked at Darcy. She shook her head.

Darcy: "I have to be at work tomorrow."

I texted Madison, but she was in the bathroom. I said, forget it, and sat back down. Ten minutes later, with Madison now sitting off to the side, they made another announcement asking again for volunteers to get the hell off the flight, only now they were offering $800 for us to do so. Madison went up and asked when we would fly out. It wasn't until the next day.

Madison: "I don't care, though. I've always wanted to do this. It's on my bucket list."

Me: "That's $2400."

Darcy: "I have to work."

Again, they came on the speaker. They needed four people, and Maddy and I volunteered. They were overjoyed. They told us to have a seat, and they would get back with us once the plane was loaded. We hugged Darcy and said our good-byes. She got into line to board. They called us up and said they saw we were three travelers. We explained that Darcy had to work. They were disappointed.

They got on the speaker and made another announcement. Darcy got out of line and volunteered.

Darcy: "What the hell!"

We called Tom. I researched hotels and contemplated calling Tom's uncle, who lives outside of Phoenix. Then the airline people came over and told us they were putting us up at a hotel and giving us vouchers for food in addition to the $2400 in plane tickets. It took about forty-five minutes for all of that to happen while they tried desperately to get us on a flight later that day, but eventually, they sent us off to the shuttle area.


We had our carry on luggage, which for me included a change of clothes and my pajama top. I also had a shirt of Darcy's. Our luggage went to Tampa, and we went to the Doubletree outside of Phoenix. The people there couldn't have been more helpful. They checked us in immediately, although it was only eleven o'clock in the morning. They gave us toothbrushes and razors and warm chocolate chip cookies that tasted like a dream. They showed us the pool area (no suits), and they told us our meal vouchers would good for their restaurant. We went to our room and Madison, and I immediately passed out and slept for the rest of the day.

Later, we had dinner at the restaurant, and then while I enjoyed the heat and watched the sunset, the girls took an Uber to Target, where they bought some essentials like underwear. They were gone for a couple of hours, and then they returned, and we watched some tv and talked before going to bed for our 10:00 a.m. flight.


Breakfast was included in our hotel stay, so we had a marvelous buffet before catching the shuttle to the airport. This flight was crowded, but apparently not overbooked much to Madison and my dismay. We already thought we'd do it again.


Darcy: "Seriously. I have to get to work."

We flew home. It took forever. The people in front of us were assholes. We had some problems with two of them who wanted to put their seats back. WTF? Who does that? Who needs that? Madison and Darcy refused to move their lets, which were butt up against the seats. The people couldn't get their seats back. Twice Madison screamed when her knees got bashed. She explained to the woman in front of her that she was tall. The flight attendant told us all to try to get along. That was my only gripe with American. The flight attendant sucked. The woman in front of me put her seat back, and the attendant could obviously see that the seat must've been broken since it went so far back it was practically touching my nose. She hit me several times when she pushed back. I suffered the entire way home seething. Thank god for the television screen and Jason Momoa.



I watched Aquaman, although on my phone, since the TV was too close. About forty minutes before we landed, the lady went to the bathroom, and I think she saw how close her seat was to my face. I couldn't even get my tray down all the way. She put it back up, but by then I had gone to the bathroom and Maddy had taken my place. I will admit I thought mean things about those people. They live on St. Pete beach. If you see them, stick out your tongues.


Tom and the dog were thrilled to see us. We were tired but happy to be back in our own beds. Summer vacation over.

It was grand.

No comments: